Amazon Abyss - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amazon Abyss

I caught a fantastic show last night on the Discovery Channel called Amazon Abyss: http://shopping.discovery.com/stores...atalogId=10000

The crux behind the show is that a team of researchers is trying to see if there is life in one of the deepest areas of the Rio Negro (over 300 ft. in depth)...but throughout the show they go into smaller streams and tributaries, forest pools, etc. and shoot footage and collect fish, looking for new species. There is some SUPERB footage of many species of fish in the wild (cardinals, angels, catfish, snakeheads, etc.) and great shots of true Amazonian underwater habitat. Anyway, I thought I would pass it along for those interested...

"I go right into the aquascaping without any design."
-Takashi Amano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
yeah, but no snake heads to be seen. they arent a south american specie...they are asian

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oops...I meant pike cichlids.

"I go right into the aquascaping without any design."
-Takashi Amano

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I saw this too last night. It was so neat to see cardinals and angels in the wild. The cichlids defending their fry from the divers was really cool too, but the coolest thing had to be those catfish that eat their prey from the inside out. Too cool.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:17 AM
►◊ ◊◄

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via MSN to conduct Send a message via Yahoo to conduct
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink
but the coolest thing had to be those catfish that eat their prey from the inside out. Too cool.
Yes that was very interesting they pulled up the bait from 100+ feet and still eating
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 02:49 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
i saw this a couple of months ago. i even downloaded it to rewatch it. There's a part in teh show where they show a huge pleco anyone saw that one? its freakin huge!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 04:05 AM

I gotta see this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 04:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I like it. A great documentary from one of my favorite channels. Although, like most documentaries, it was a little dramatic and contrived.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 06:31 AM

Yea i wish they would of found that Na jeural (Sp) catifsh that has be said to take under fishermen adn drown them. But the other Catfish and Pleco's they found were amazing. I have it recorded on my DVR.

i also recomend a national Geographic one called "jewel of the rift lakes" Its a documentry on all of Lake tang, and some of lake malwai. If you thought hte cichlids in the river were amazing watch this one and just be amazed about how many there are in a 5foot area

I thought the best part was when they were lookin for the candura fish (that one that um goes into a mans ya know)
and they pulled up the net with TONS of what looked liek green spooted or figure 8 puffers on them. Not sure what kind and i thought. My fish store has those for liek 20bucks or so and he just caught 100of them in 4min
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I saw this a few months back, and all around, I was disappointed. Some of the side stories were interesting, especially the one about the worm fish (?) that lives underground in leaf litter from one rainy season to the next. But all around, I didn't think much of it. Most of the underwater filming was so dark and murky that it was hardly worth watching. And the main premise of the show was to see if anything new and weird was living in the deepest parts of the river. Well, when they finally got down there, they discovered... a fish already known to science! Shocking! Amazing! Boring! And to make it worse, they kept making a big deal out of how ferocious they were. Yeah, except they were like 8 inches long. Not going to keep me up at night. That and I get tired of the same old storyline on every darned documentary: racing against the clock, one setback after another, finally they get to ______, and the results are inconclusive! INCONCLUSIVE!!!

I went to bed early.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 10:58 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Equator: Rivers of the Sun

This is a Discovery HD program called "The Equator: Rivers of the Sun". This has excellent footage of different fish in the Amazon: Discus, Snakeheads, Arrowana, and various other fish I've never seen.

You neet a bit torrent client in order to download this...

http://www.mvgroup.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9895
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
yeah the equator about the amazon was really cool. but it sucks cause they stopped shooting the show and its no longer on. they did lots of neat stuff with lots of fish but the amazon was the best

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode