CO2 ran out...crap...do I just dose EXCEL until MONDAY? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
CO2 ran out...crap...do I just dose EXCEL until MONDAY?

Hi,

Well, my Co2 finally ran out after 5 months of use on a 30 gallon. It seems short but I blast the stuff in there so there is always 70-100ppm of Co2 in the tank. It prevents algae growth and you will not be able to find none of that stuff in my tank. Plus Co2 is really cheap so I don't mind paying the few bucks every couple of months, sure beats getting a headache from the algae infestations.

Now, the Co2 place does not open until MONDAY so can I just dose EXCEL or should I turn off the lights?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I would shorten the lighting period considerably, cut back on dosing, use Excel, and cross my fingers.
Do you have fish in that tank? If so, I doubt you having 70 - 100 ppm CO2. When I get much above 40 or so ppm the fish start having serious troubles.

Hoppy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy
I would shorten the lighting period considerably, cut back on dosing, use Excel, and cross my fingers.
Do you have fish in that tank? If so, I doubt you having 70 - 100 ppm CO2. When I get much above 40 or so ppm the fish start having serious troubles.
Only Endlers and they sit at the top gasping for air within one hour when the Co2 turns on. If I'm testing for something, I do 4 readings and take the average to make sure that I am getting consitant readings. Nothing else is able to survive in that tank...no shrimp....no ottos.....nothing except Endlers.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 10:33 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
Poor endlers

You think air breathing fish such as Bettas or Gouramis can survive in high CO2 conditions?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunderpants
Poor endlers

You think air breathing fish such as Bettas or Gouramis can survive in high CO2 conditions?
Never tried it in the high Co2 tank.
The Endlers can't be doing that bad as they are eating and always reproducing...I have two batches of these fish in different tanks and the ones in the high Co2 keep making babies faster for some reason. (Maybe cause it's a bigger tank).

Hoppy:
Thanks for the suggestions. I shortened the lighting period to only 5 hours.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have Trichogaster trichopterus and leeris who were surviving, for the most part, in a 50-60 ppm aquarium. I say for the most part because three died and the others haven't looked so well. I have since bought some Pterophyllum scalares and lowered the ppm to about 30. I lost no angels and the rest of the fish are doing much better. They are more colorful and reactive. I have changed nothing else so I attribute this to excessive CO2.

Jeremy

55 gal., DIY stand, hood, rex reactor, & bubble counter, XP2, Coralife 65 X 4 w/remote ballast, flourite
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
You do not really have to shorten the lighting period, just the intensity, use low light, you can run full 10 hours will be fine...excel is up to you, not needed unless you increase intensity.
Do not use high light intensity until you have C02.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode