EI micro dosing for nano? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
EI micro dosing for nano?

been dosing greg's ferts for awhile via ei method.

Little snafu today. Have a 125 ml. (4 oz) dosing bottle I want to use to dose
csm+B and chelated iron in my 3 gallon nano.

Any gurus have recommendations on water/fert mix, and 3x weekly doses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Please?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I think standard CSM+B solution is 1 tBsp per 500 ml H20 to form solution, then dosing at rate of 5ml per 20g of water when running high light and Co2, per Ei recommended starting points.

Now, is your 3g nano high light and high Co2? If not, then you should dose perhaps 50% Ei.

I mix a standard CSM+B solution (1 tBsp per 500 ml H20). I then use this solution to dose all my tanks. For my nanos (using 2x Excel as carbon source) I dose .2 ml per gallon of water (4 drops), which is a little more than the math tells me to. Math tells me to dose around .125 ml per gallon of water (2.5 drops) but I get better results with .2ml and still see no algae. It keeps everything a little greener also.

Now, for your 125 ml bottle you could mix a standard solution by adding 1/4 tBsp (3/4 tsp) CSM+B to 125 ml H20. You could then dose the same amounts I'm dosing. Or, you could perhaps double the amount of CSM+B and then cut your dosage size in half, which would make the 125 ml bottle last twice as long. This of course assumes that much dry CSM+B would completely dissolve into that amount of water. I've never tried anything other than the standard solution.

But anyway, there's your answer for a standard solution and an example of how trying to mix a more concentrated solution might make the small bottle last longer, assuming the concentrated solution would actually mix.

Now, plot a course for healthy plant growth Mr. Badren. .........ENGAGE.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the reply!! I actually broke down went through the math and came up with about a 1/8 tsp in 125 ml. I'm dosing 5ml as this mix also includes supplemental iron. My idea was to dilute both so as to be able to dose a comfortable ml solution. I like being able to dose 5 10 20 ml increments (don't know why just a quirk of mine) as opposed to little drops. Your advice is much appreciated.

anyone actually measure in grams?

found the fertilator hard to use because I'm used to using chucks calculator and mixing using tsp. I know this can be less accurate but i can't see myself going as far as purchasing a digital scale and measuring everything out like its a drug deal!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use a dry weight measurement when dosing my ferts now. I find that I have a lot more control over whats going in my tanks than the pre mixed solutions allowed for.

If you purchase a digital scale for your nano's ferts make sure it is very accurate and measures down to the 100th of a point. The CSM and your dry phosphates certainly, are going to be less than 1/10th of a gram, as will all other ferts I'd immagine.

Take care.

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

50 Gallon Aquarium - Colony of Showa Koi Swords.
90 Gallon Planted Aquarium - Yellow Tiger Endlers, Pair of Bristlenose, Six "oops" Five L15
12x10 Gallon Tanks - Guppies, Apistos, Endlers, Shrimp, Swords, you name it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 12:30 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
This is exactly the thread I needed to figure out my micros. Thanks, badren. What do you do for macros in the nano? I'd like to work out a similarly easy dosing solution that I could dose 5 ml of in my 2.5 gallon tank. I also have 125 ml bottles.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Hey everyone. My recommended solution mix turns out not to be full strength. It should have been 2 tBsp of CSM+B per 500ml H20. So you can double your dose if it's already mixed and then make the solution stronger and use normal dosing levels with the next batch.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode