Possible to rescape or must close the tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Possible to rescape or must close the tank?

Hi!

I'm going oversea for study soon. I wish to keep the tank as usual but it is impossible as nobody will helping me for the plant trimming and water change. So my thinking is, change all the tank into low tech planted tank.

I already change my 2ft(2'x1'x1') tank into a low tech tank. It only using one 20w Azoo super light, no filer, no co2, no fert. Plant only fern and moss inside, fish only around 5 small guppy inside. With my experience of keeping guppy at indoor and outdoor, guppy that keep inside the indoor tank with weekly water change, don't know why my guppy just hardly breed. While keeping them outdoor with only a flower pot and no water change, it breed non-stop. Not sure what's wrong, maybe my skill...

Now my problem is the 4ft(4'x1.5'x1.5') tank, i wish to rescape it into a low tech tank like the 2ft. The current equipment i have for the 4ft is 3x36w Philips FL, 1x40w Azoo super light, 2000L/H canister filter, 2.5L CO2, holland sand, AC Fan, PMDD fertilizer.

I'm planning to take out all the stem plant inside the tank, left only fern, moss, bolbitis, some rosette type plant like helferi. For lighting, co2 and fert, all will be lower down to keep the plant grow slow. Fish will be given away most of them to keep the water condition.

Do you guys think it is possible to keep this 2 tank with no water change for 1 year time? If it is can, any advice for equipment i should cut down? Any plant i can add inside the tank?

I know this may sounds crazy for no water changing for 1 year time. And i think many people will sure ask me to close down the tank first, after finish study only start again. I wish not to close the tank because if it is an empty tank, no way for me to keep those tank in store room, the only way i can do is give out the tank to someone else and that's not i hoping So anyone please give me some advice what to do? Thank you very much!

P/S Sorry for my poor english.

48" X 18' X 18"
36W Philips FL 865 x 3
40W Azoo FL Super Light x 1
Total = 148W (8pm-2am)
JET 3388 2000L/H
2.5L CO2 Tank + Reactor 24H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Algae Grower

nope

Sorry to say but with no real care for a year the plants and fish will perish.Even if it were possible you would have to work for months to get back what you had.Enjoy school and start over when you are ready.Maybe take some pics now to remind you later on when you miss your tanks that you can do it again.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

how about using Diana Walstad method?

48" X 18' X 18"
36W Philips FL 865 x 3
Total = 148W (8pm-2am)
JET 3388 2000L/H

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Even using the Diana Walstad method, one year is a long time to run a tank with no one to care for it . Going this long without a w/c could be possible, but what about water top off, power outages, lights burning out, or any number of things that can go wrong.

I have tried to see how long i could go without touching a tank.
I think it lasted around 6 months before it went to crap.
The water top off is what killed the tank. the water level dropped to the point were my filter and heater got tossed in the trash. I lost all fish (one A. shrimp lived) plants, substrate.

IMO this could be done with someone to to keep a 'eye' on it and with lots of planing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin

Last edited by aquamoon; 04-09-2006 at 02:46 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank will still got people to take care for me for those easy thing, like top up water, feeding fish, etc. Just no water change and trimming for plant only. What do you think?

48" X 18' X 18"
36W Philips FL 865 x 3
Total = 148W (8pm-2am)
JET 3388 2000L/H
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I think that it is worth a try. Have you though about CO2? In non co2 tanks this is could be added with wc and hob filters (can your "tank sitter" do a w/c once every few months?) What about a fert program?

Take a few Min's to read Tom Barrs non co2 report.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin

Last edited by aquamoon; 04-09-2006 at 02:46 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 08:24 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Low tech can be done with just water top off and fish feeding. However, the person feeding the fish must feed the appropriate amount of food. Have them practice or pre-measure the amount or something like that. I believe that's what Diane Walstad describes in this article.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

aquamoon: I think the co2 will still added in the tank to prevent bba or hair algae, but the amount of co2 will be lower down, maybe from 1bps to 1bp5s? Water change is no-way I know my mom well, she will clean the tank as clean as she could, so maybe end up all fish/plant may died. Top up water will be easier and much safer, just add anti-clorine and tap water. Fertilizer will no dosing since only slow grower inside the tank, or maybe from 28 drops of pmdd turn to 10 drops per day when feeding time.

sarahbobarah: Don't worry. The person who help me to feed the fish will be my sister. She already been helping me for feeding the fish for more than half year, and she is doing well for it.

48" X 18' X 18"
36W Philips FL 865 x 3
Total = 148W (8pm-2am)
JET 3388 2000L/H

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode