turtle in a plant tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
turtle in a plant tank

Hi i'm new to all this plant tank. I wanted to know if it was possible to have turtles in a planted tank? Can some one get back to me on this? thanks for your help on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 08:02 PM

It is Ok when they are little. When they gets big enough, the size will definitely cause problem to plants plus adult turtles poop big. It also depends on the species, some of them won't bother plants. Some turtles are able to catch fishes, such as Snake neck turtle. I have 2 Japanese stone turtle less than 1 year old, and I keep snails, shrimps and fishes in the tank without problem.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your help on this now i can get started with the tank. one more question will the CO2 effect them in any way? and also what i plan to get is a red ear slider

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
I'm not sure about the CO2 affecting them, but my initial reaction is that, since they don't breath through gills, it won't hurt them. CO2 + H2O does produce carbonic acid though, which is why the pH lowers. This isn't going to be bad unless you manage to get your pH well below safe (~3, which I'm not sure is possible actually!). The lowest I've ever accidentally gotten mine is 6.2.

Also pyro, I don't know about Jersey, but in Indiana it is illegal to buy and sell native species (i.e. red ear sliders). The DNR is cracking down pretty hard because people collect them, deplete the natural population, and then sell them. This is something you might want to double check.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info i will look that up.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:37 AM

If your planning on a turtle, make sure to look into a specific one thoroughly. Our RES is 8-10" (Its been a while since I've measured) and 13 years old. We've constantly upgraded tanks as she got larger, could have saved some $$$ by getting the right size first.

And then... the plant part. I think it really depends, but mine likes plants, but not as decor. She likes to eat/devour plants, but generally leaves them around for a bit before chowing down.

Duckweed seems to do fine though You should get a sponge over the filter intake though as we almost had our Magnum 350 burn up because it got clogged with duckweed.

I've tried on multiple occasions to get some plants with her, but she either repeatedly tears them up or eats them. If you're serious about it, I wouldnt invest a ton into a CO2 system or expensive plants. Then again, thats just my RES. I've seen others have issues keeping plants, but then there are some who have luck. How long? I dont know, I've only seen a few tanks with plants + turtles, and only once in a while do I see them.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

again thanks alot for the info
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quick note:
My understanding is that you won't find a turtle for sale in NJ, legally.
NYS is another story.

But tekknoschtev brought up a good point.
Are you ready to have to take care of a pet for the next 50 - 70 years?

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 07:24 PM

Handsome fellow!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Sandwich

Handsome fellow!
Fellowette But thanks My dad ended up removing the duckweed, because despite having a filter sponge, it managed to clog the filter intake again and we couldnt risk it burning up the filter (we bought it used for $20, and were shocked to find what they cost new).

Theres still some hornwort in there, though its looking a bit... chewed on.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 02:22 AM

Tekk,

If it's not too much trouble I was wondering if you could post a picture of your tutle's tank. And how big of a tank is it in right now? I have a red eared slider also and am having trouble finding a sutable tank setup.

By the way, beautiful turtle!

Thanks alot

Pufferpeep.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode