Whats the Ultimate Planted Aquarium Tip? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Whats the Ultimate Planted Aquarium Tip?

Well i have been in this hobby for about 5 months now and my knowledge about anything fish never stops growing.

My first aquarium was a 5gal with one sword

My second aquarium was a 10gal with 2 wisteria's

My third is a 60gal and its still in the process of starting

What i am asking is that for any and all planted tank enthusiast's if you have anys tips about keeping a planted freshwater aquarium any tips at all plz post it here. It doesnt' matter what its about it can be about dosing,plant choice, water chemistry, fish, lighting , heating, Co2, or even sanils or shrimp just plz post any advice at all.

Now come on lets see how much feedback we can get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:33 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
How about - earn a lot of money!
More seriously, how about research first, and make a plan, before you buy anything.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:52 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Use the search function aggressively and keep asking questions. Worked well for me and I'm still learning much after my second year learning about this terrific hobby. Good luck.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Quote:
Whats the Ultimate Planted Aquarium Tip?
For me, that would be... realizing that plants need balanced light and nutrients. Really simple, but once light and nutrients are balanced, things just fall into place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:03 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Whats the Ultimate Planted Aquarium Tip?
Read! Please! Read.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:11 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Go with a pressurized CO2 set-up from the start.

Spend the money on a nice "designer" substrate.

Realize that when you post a question on how to dose ferts into so many gallons the answers only get you in the ball park, everyone's situation is different.

There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Pete
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
The ultimate planted aquarium tip: Liebig's Law of the Minimum (the capacity of the barrel is limited by the length of the shortest stave). As Wasserpest said, the amount of nutrients, light and CO2 need to be balanced, in other words, you need enough of them all.

The ultimate planted aquarium tip number 2: Christel Kasselmann. My friend just gave me the Kasselmann's Aquarium Plants -book and I'd love to keep it close to me always from now on (a Kasselmann book is the most precious gift you can give to a planted tank hobbyist (who doesn't have it yet)).

And well, it is important to know as much as possible about the subject you are interested in, so read, read, read, ask, ask, ask. This forum is filled with great knowledge and the amount of the knowledge just keeps growing every moment. So, www.plantedtank.net would be the third ultimate planted aquarium tip.

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Never drop your light fixture in your aquarium then reach in to pull it out.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:40 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I agree balance is the key, but I would add one factor - plant biomass. Light, nutrients, and plant mass all need to be in balance. You need to start out with a lot of plants. It is expensive to get started, skimping in any one area will just cause you problems and more cash down the road to fix it.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
probably take things slow. never have impulse buys.... and read read read... ask ask ask ask ask... search search search search search...

you get the idea!

-=- fish newb -=-
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:52 PM

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzilla
Never drop your light fixture in your aquarium then reach in to pull it out.
nice!
I agree with most here. I have been on for a while now and I have yet to put a drop of water in the tank yet, untill my research is done.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Send a message via AIM to JenThePlantGeek
Another set of good tips - which I'm stealing from Kassellman btw - is to buy enough plants right from the start. Splurge on plants and make sure you buy plenty. Buy several bunches/pots of fewer species rather than one pot of everything. Make a plan and have "backup plants" to replace the ones you wnat if those are not available. Get submerged growth forms from the very start if you can, and always put in a bunch of fast growers into a new tank to combate algae.

- VP & Horticulture Awards Program Chair
I <3 Eheim #195
Everyone seems normal... until you get to know them.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:28 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
never have impulse buys
or make impulse decisions.
Quote:
read read read... ask ask ask ask ask... search search search search search.
except search before ask!
Quote:
Go with a pressurized CO2 set-up from the start.
If you are going 2+ watts per gallon, I 100% agree.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
PATIENCE, you will experience things so frustrating that you almost want to give up. It WILL happen, Green Water, algae in all its forms, ferts being off, water parameters, lights falling into your tank. And when they do happen have the patience to persevere. . .If you need encouragement simply remember the difference between a planted tank and one with plastic plants.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
First: find a good planted aquarium forum, then spend at least an hour a day reading it.
Second: discover Rex's website, and spend as much time as you can on it until you think you understand it.
Third: decide how much work you are willing to put into this hobby.
Fourth: only after the above, start looking for your tank, light, etc.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode