Holes in my new Swords / Plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Holes in my new Swords / Plants

Hi,

I have recently added some new plants to my tank because I upgraded to pressurized Co2.

I am very new to planted tanks and am realizing it's a lot harder than I thought to maintain a lush healthy planted tank but well worth it.... I have a lot of respect and admiration for all of you with those full and vibrant planted tanks!

The problem I am having now is that my Queen Sword and Amazon Sword plants are getting holes in their leaves aswell as one other plant...

Here is my setup:

- 65 Gallon: 36" Long x 24" Height x 18" Depth
- Dual T5HO Lights: 1 Bulb 6,500k The other 10,000k
- Pressurized Co2 with Glass Diffuser which bubbles up to spray bar and Maxi-jet 400 circulation pump. Tiny bubbles fill the whole aquarium and there is great circulation through the tank.
- Dosing with Seachem Line Liquid Ferts: Flourish, Potassium, Phosphorous and Nitrates
- I have dry ferts but got the liquids first and thought it would be easier to dose as per instructions on a bottle as I started.
- Filtration is Rena XP3 and Aquaclear 70

I tried some lower light easier plants to start with 6 months ago. Some Java Fern and Anubias... I wasn't dosing Macro ferts and only used Flourish & Excel liquid carbon. I had some nasty Black Beard Algae (what i thought it was) that covered everything! Walls, rocks, wood, plants... It was nasty... I took out all decorations, to clean them, cut all leaves back that were covered and realized I was probably screwing up by not dosing proper ferts and not having enough or real co2... Hopefully that problem is gone but we shall see as time goes on...

Now that I have all the proper equipment and ferts, I bought lots of new plants and don't want to lose them!

I have had the new plants for about a week and I have done a 50 percent water change and dosed ferts again as per Seachem directions on the bottle.

I have read that it may be not enough Potassium so I dosed 2 more capfuls tonight (says 1 cap for 30 Gallons) every 2 - 3 days.

I purchasd a phosphate test kit tonight which will read between 0 - 10ppm and I also have an Ammonia/Nitrate/Nitrite test kit. I will be testing those daily so I can get some more information and track how I'm dosing and see how the plants are responding.

Is there any other test kits I should pick up?

I'm looking for some advice on what might be causing the holes. Also, looking for any other advice that may be helpful. Should I go right to the dry ferts or use the rest of my liquids first?

Thanks very much in advance, I will be starting a tank journal with pictures soon.

Oh... I'm using a drop checker with liquid to monitor Co2 levels. I have the Co2 on a solenoid which goes on and off with the lights. The Liquid in the drop checker goes a nice green when the co2 is on and in the morning it is blue. The fish swim about very happily and they are not gasping for air at all.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jordin; 03-31-2013 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Spelling errors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Holes in my new swords sounds like potassium deficiency.

I think you can get K deficiency when there is something else (maybe N?) in excess. Is that right?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Holes in my new swords sounds like potassium deficiency.

I think you can get K deficiency when there is something else (maybe N?) in excess. Is that right?
I hope it is just potassium and I will make sure I dose it every other day and monitor how they respond. I will be recording my dosing schedule as I go so I can learn what is and isn't working and make proper adjustments.

I plan on trying the Estimative Index method for my tank since it seems popular and reasonable. I will be doing 50% weekly water changes.

Thanks,

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode