Diffusing co2 with power head - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diffusing co2 with power head

I have my DIY co2 tube going into the intake of my small power head. This power head does chop the co2 bubbles into tiny little bubbles, but some of the bubbles are going to the top where some of them float and some disperse. Is this normal, and is this an efficient way to diffuse co2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That is a pretty good way.
I have seen drawings of how to modify a power head (or small fountain pump) so the CO2 enters a sponge, then the water flow through the pump comes through the sponge. That way there is less CO2 lost to those few large bubbles that escape the blades of the pump.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Put an airstone on the end of the tube so that you get much smaller bubbles entering the powerhead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't think that I need those since the bubbles coming out of the powerhead are already pretty tiny. I was wandering is the little bubbles going to the top that float still absorb in the water, or are they not even getting absorbed? I noticed that the power head disperses the bubbles well through the front of the tank, before they go to the top.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayjay76 View Post
I don't think that I need those since the bubbles coming out of the powerhead are already pretty tiny. I was wandering is the little bubbles going to the top that float still absorb in the water, or are they not even getting absorbed? I noticed that the power head disperses the bubbles well through the front of the tank, before they go to the top.
They're getting absorbed just fine. I'm using a Rio 200 as my diffuser and it has the same effect that yours does and my CO2 levels stay pretty consistent. If I strain my eyes and look very closely at the water, there's even smaller bubbles all around my tank.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (362/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayjay76 View Post
I have my DIY co2 tube going into the intake of my small power head. This power head does chop the co2 bubbles into tiny little bubbles, but some of the bubbles are going to the top where some of them float and some disperse. Is this normal, and is this an efficient way to diffuse co2?
I use similar way by adding nano diffuser and place under a Hagen mini elite filter. I threw away the medias. So, the bubbles goes up directly and suck by impeller. Ive been using this for 3 years with good results.

Nano glass diffusers are cheap around $3 shipped.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can modify a powerhead rotor by either melting a lot of small holes in each paddle, or by slitting each paddle lengthwise and gently bending the two halves of each paddle apart to double the number of paddles. Those modifications make the powerhead chop the bubbles of CO2 even finer, so you almost get a "fog" of CO2 bubbles. This makes a "CO2 mist" as once advocated by Plantbrain. Those tiny bubbles circulate everywhere in the water, and even collect under leaves, where the plants get access to gaseous CO2 as well as dissolved CO2. The disadvantage of this is that the bubbles are visible, more so with high bubble rates, but visible anyway, and some of us found that less than appealing.

Hoppy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ya the bubbles are more visible, but I don't mind. I'm glad that I made a good decision with this diffuser. I checked my bubble counter and am getting 2.9 bubbles per second. It hasn't been a full day. Would you guys say that I am getting a fair amount of co2 in my tank? I am dosing dry ferts pps-pro style, this is a plant only tank with just over 3 watts per gallon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode