Ocean Aquarium, SF - Peruvian Altums - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ocean Aquarium, SF - Peruvian Altums

Hello!

I just picked up 2 medium large sized "Peruvian Altums" from Justin at Ocean Aquarium.

I know the peruvian Altums are really peruvian scalare. I was a little disappointed that he denied them being scalare when I asked about them.

Does anyone know if his fish are actually wild?

See photo below

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you,

Eric

Last edited by lilhelper; 03-31-2013 at 03:37 AM. Reason: ADDED PHOTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Anyone else have experience with Justin's Angels? I knew they weren't true altums, which is why I asked him if they were scalare (kind of a test, I guess). They are beautiful fish. Does anyone know if he sources his angels as wild caught angels?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you,

Eric

Last edited by lilhelper; 03-31-2013 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Incorrect use of F0
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
look wild caught.
but not sure they are peru, more like manacapuru, need a couple more full flank pictures.
a lot of wild caughts at this size have long but slight twisted(not straight or smooth curve) pelvic fin, (due to long time high temp quarantine, higher metabloism?).

Canon Pimp Club #17

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

After a lot of research today, I was thinking they were too. It is definitely twisted on both specimens. I'll provide more photos in the morning. Which geographic area these wild caught from? Or would that be something the seller would have to say?

Thank you,

Eric
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
look wild caught.
but not sure they are peru, more like manacapuru, need a couple more full flank pictures.
a lot of wild caughts at this size have long but slight twisted(not straight or smooth curve) pelvic fin, (due to long time high temp quarantine, higher metabloism?).
Here are two more additional photos of the stock.

Thank you,

Eric
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

More than likely they are red shoulder Manacapuru...

You are lucky, cost more than peru, but the center strips on both fish are kind of fade away, not sure what cause this. Give them three month or more, see if they fully express red on their shoulder, darken strip, and, smooth long pelvic fin.

I have non red shoulder Manacapuru(river Manacapuru), the pair you have are the red should(lake Manacapuru). They are from the Rio Manacapuru region, Brazil.

when I got my Manacapuru, they also had fade/uneven strips, and twisted pelvic fins, but now all ok.

a picture I took in December, about two month I got them. now they all looking much better than the shape shown in the picture.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
More than likely they are red shoulder Manacapuru...

You are lucky, cost more than peru, but the center strips on both fish are kind of fade away, not sure what cause this. Give them three month or more, see if they fully express red on their shoulder, darken strip, and, smooth long pelvic fin.

I have non red shoulder Manacapuru(river Manacapuru), the pair you have are the red should(lake Manacapuru). They are from the Rio Manacapuru region, Brazil.

when I got my Manacapuru, they also had fade/uneven strips, and twisted pelvic fins, but now all ok.

a picture I took in December, about two month I got them. now they all looking much better than the shape shown in the picture.
Wow this is great! Thank you!

They are also seem to be a pair! They were courting each other last night....

Thank you,

Eric
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

They seem to be showing more of their internal stripes.

Thank you,

Eric
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhelper View Post
They are also seem to be a pair! They were courting each other last night....
too early to tell though, I called them a pair because you only have two, normally people who go for wild type buy a group.

how much did you pay for yours?

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Haha. I understand. They were exhibiting behavior only seen by my other breeding pair.

I got them for $30.00 each.

Thank you,

Eric
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

They seem to be showing more of their internal stripes.
I had group of congo tetras before but never keep any with angelfish, how they interact?
Your angelfish feeling comfortable with fast moving Congo tetras in the same tank? I would like to get some Congo tetras.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have just one sole survivor. The Congos usually keep to themselves, never affecting other fish. They are fast moving and I may take it out.

Thank you,

Eric
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I got them for $30.00 each.
wow, how many Justin have left?

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

a LOT.

Thank you,

Eric
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

All are wild caught. I may pick up more too.

Thank you,

Eric

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode