My 20-gallon everything post! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile My 20-gallon everything post!

Hello everyone, this is among my first ever forum posts and definitely my first post on this website. Been a long time reader and thanks to the forums and generous teachings of members, I've (somewhat) successfully set up my FIRST ever all natural, planted tank. Consider this my introduction.

I set up my 20 gallon in this order with apparent success: substrate>water>filter/heater>plants>cycling>first 4 fish>two weeks in I set up DIY C02.

Personal comments/reflection: my tank is in the final stages of cycling at the moment, and I'm excited to add more species of fish. The rocks are less than ideal but I like them for the simplicity of the tank after I gathered the from a local beach in SoCal. I don't recommend the heater I have, although its perfectly functional and economic ($14), its an eye sore on the layout. Generally speaking I'm very happy with my new tank and proud of myself because its been a completely new ( and fun!) process.

Here is my product list and details of my tank:

Tank Dimensions: 24x12.5x17 (20 tall)

Substrate: Eco-Complete (20lbs x2)

Lighting: Odyssea 20 inch 72W T5HO
(Usually run 2 out of 4 lights- 36 watts of T5HO till I get more plants)
Fertilizer: Seachem's "Flourish Excel"

Filter: AquaClear 30

Heater: Aquatop 100W submersible heater

C02: Do-It-Yourself, 2 liter C02 with Aquaman diffuser

Background: Black w/ Vaseline for bright appearance

Plant Species: Stargrass (Heteranthera zosterfolia)-Baby Tears (Hemianthus micranthemoides)-Ludwigia Palustris-and three more aquatic, unidentified plants. Will update ASAP.

Fish species: Zebra Danios (Harlequin Rasbora, Three-Spotted Blue Gourami- soon to come)

My point in all this is to contribute to the site by naming my setup and displaying the results. Also, I would GREATLY appreciate any CONSTRUCTIVE feedback or criticism so I may improve my little aquatic garden. Specifically, if anyone knows any plant species that could fill up the free space I have in the tank and still look awesome, that would be great!! Background, mid ground and maybe your ideal carpet plant (that would flow with my tank) would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by AT13; 03-31-2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Having trouble uploading photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Use imageshack.us or a similar service to post photos. Your photos are likely above the size cap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tank sounds awesome when described but feed us photo mongers with pics already!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 12:52 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Dropbox is excellent for sharing forum photos. Just be sure to put them in a public folder and share away

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pics up!

Thanks guys, you were right about the image size. pics are updated and i made a tank profile for the same tank, would love any advice!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode