Hooray for Good Luck! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hooray for Good Luck!

I stopped by one of the big pet stores this morning hoping to pick up a few fast growing stem plants to help combat algae now that I've upped my lighting and added CO2 (the algae is in retreat, but I want to make sure it doesn't let the door hit it in the rear on its way out...) To my surprise, I found:

silicone airline tubing -- 25 feet marked down to $1.99
microsword (they never seem to have foreground plants!) for $1.99 per pot

And lots and lots of nice looking stem plants, so I picked up ludwigia, cabomba, and wisteria for my tank. I planted everything and replaced my airline tubing with the silicone stuff for my DIY CO2 setup and it's looking pretty good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 04:02 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thats awesome, but ive noticed that petsmart is now getting cardinal tetras and they have flourite for sale......maybe they are going towards planted tanks a little more??? Never thought that would happen
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil boy blue
Thats awesome, but ive noticed that petsmart is now getting cardinal tetras and they have flourite for sale......maybe they are going towards planted tanks a little more??? Never thought that would happen
Yes, I noticed that they had flourite the other day . . . at $25 a bag . No cardinals though . . .

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 08:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
one of my petsmarts near me does price match and the other does not. You could print out a catolog from big als and try. I got 3 bags of flourite from them for $13 a piece.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Get rid of the silicone tubing. It can lose up to 6% of the CO2 per foot.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks for the info, Rex. I did see the thread about the permeability of silicone and the possibility for escape of CO2 in silicone tubing, and while I don't doubt the math in a theoretical situation, I was thinking that the gas would likely follow the path of least resistance and go out the large opening at the end of the tube rather than go through the tubing itself, given that it isn't under tremendous pressure in a DIY system while in the tube itself (since the pressure is released in the bubbles at the end of the tube regularly). In a closed system where the tubing had no large outlet at the end, I would think that the CO2 loss would be significant, but I figured I'd experiment and see if that's the case in the real world condition of the tank.

I made the switch because I was looking for something a little more flexible and I'm seeing the same bubble rate with the silicone that I saw with the clear airline tubing (counted immediately before and immediately after the change), but if I see a drop off, I'll switch it back for sure. I'm just experimenting to see what happens with this tubing.

If I do see the kind of CO2 loss that the calculations would predict, though, what would you suggest as the best alternative? I used the black "stealth" airline tubing in the past and liked it because of its looks against my black background and its flexibility, but if it's no better than the silicone in terms of permeability or no better than the easier-to-find clear stuff in terms of remaining flexible and intact over time, then I'll look for another option. Thanks for any suggestions.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I have used the CO2 tubing I sell in DIY rigs. It's not as flexible as silicone but it works quite well.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:17 AM

PTrader: (4/100%)
If you think that is amazing, a Wal-Mart in Valdosta, GA was selling Glosso in a pot! I didn't buy it, but was astonished. They also had some really nice looking tetras that I haven't seen at any LFS in my area.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode