Beach Driftwood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Beach Driftwood

Hello I have some driftwood questions. I live in western Washington right on the beach and have access to an ever changing supply of driftwood. lots of madrona which is what im after. I was just wondering what I would do to prepare it for my aquarium and if its safe even though its been saltwater driftwood. Also there is a bunch of dead madrona around that isnt driftwood but just long dead branches. are those safe? Finally I was also curious if it would be ok to put in my cherry shrimp tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
generally taking wood from the sea is an at your own risk type of thing. the wood has salts on it that might leach into the tank. BUT if you have barrels/tanks/tubs big enough you could always leach the wood in tap water until you are certain all the salt is gone. then i would try to sterilize it some how.

i know of some people boiling smaller peices but thats not likely an option with the large ones. i dont like the idea of using bleach on wood either as it does absorb quite well....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Oven at 200 degrees. It's a safe temp that kills off mostly all bacteria. Just another form of sterilizing.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Algae Grower

Not sure on that particular type of driftwood but I have used a few pieces I found local they were all small enough to boil. Seems like the most common problems associated with using any driftwood that youI collect are getting it to sink (which I never did) , getting all the tannins out (if u want crystal clear water) and of course anything harmful for your fish that may be hiding in or on it. Boiling is a common solution for all three but again as the first response said, it is an AT YOUR OWN RISK type of thing. Good luck and I hope it works out for the best! Always nice to be able to hand select your own pieces and ya can't beat the cost!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Wow, I would be all over that stuff! Take a faux tank [cardboard with the side, back and bottom of your tank would do] or a tape measure with you before you get too excited and drag the wrong size home though. If you have a bin or old clean trash can to soak it to get out the salt that would be useful but there probably isn't all that much in there, that wood floats into the ocean and is promptly deposited on the shoreline. Soaking will soften it up so you can check for rot. Since it has been in salt water and probably not soaking in a lake for long there probably aren't any bacteria, leeches and such to worry about but heating it couldn't hurt. If the drainages around are clean then the wood likely hasn't a lot of toxins to worry about either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
put it in boiling water then allow it to soak for a couple of days (changing the water now and then) ,kills bacteria etc and gets rid of the salt (atleast most of it). It will also help to get it to sink.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Wow, I would be all over that stuff! Take a faux tank [cardboard with the side, back and bottom of your tank would do] or a tape measure with you before you get too excited and drag the wrong size home though. If you have a bin or old clean trash can to soak it to get out the salt that would be useful but there probably isn't all that much in there, that wood floats into the ocean and is promptly deposited on the shoreline. Soaking will soften it up so you can check for rot. Since it has been in salt water and probably not soaking in a lake for long there probably aren't any bacteria, leeches and such to worry about but heating it couldn't hurt. If the drainages around are clean then the wood likely hasn't a lot of toxins to worry about either.
How long does it take on average for wood that's not completely waterlogged to stay down without being weighed?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrankwhat View Post
How long does it take on average for wood that's not completely waterlogged to stay down without being weighed?
Depends on the wood and amount of time it's been in the source water it came from. Some can take a week and I've seen people who have pieces that still float after a year.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterlook View Post
Depends on the wood and amount of time it's been in the source water it came from. Some can take a week and I've seen people who have pieces that still float after a year.
does wood density have anything to do with it?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Beach Driftwood

Quote:
does wood density have anything to do with it?
Somewhat, that just comes down to science. Higher density will increase the chances of an object sinking and vice versa.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterlook View Post
Somewhat, that just comes down to science. Higher density will increase the chances of an object sinking and vice versa.
makes sense.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
makes sense.
What part of FL are you from? I just moved from Fort Myers/Naples

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode