Rescuing a JBJ nano cube - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rescuing a JBJ nano cube

I wasn't sure what category to put this in because it could be equipment, nano aquariums, or general planted tank but what I'm wondering is if there will be any problems cleaning up and re-purposing a 12 gallon nano cube that was saltwater before. The thing I'm unsure of is the fact that it ran saltwater for 4 years or so and I'm sure will have corraline algae to clean off the glass as well as excess salt etc. Will i have any negative effects or nutrients if I clean it up or is it even possible to get it clean enough to go full planted? I'm wanting to do a soil based tank densely planted with no or DIY CO2 and shrimp and i know how sensitive inverts can be.

EDIT:also any tips/tricks for getting it clean without scratching the glass or anything if it is able to be salvaged would be much appreciated.

Thanks for bearing with the possibility of being in the wrong category and I'm really excited to get it started up. The 5.5 gallon I have now just isn't doing it for me.

Last edited by AdamC13; 03-30-2013 at 05:03 AM. Reason: oops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
There should be no problems re-purposing your aquarium.

Salt can be removed with water changes. Any mineral deposits can be carefully scraped off. Hard to remove deposits can be treated with a paper towel soaked in some vinegar (leave the paper towel to soak on the deposits).

As for cleaning the glass, a new, clean razor and careful work will be fine. You can try melamine sponges (Mr. Clean eraser is a common name brand, but you can just get no name and they will work just the same; just be sure to get the non-fragrant variety).

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would recommend soaking it in a vinegar solution for a day and then assess the coraline algae/mineral buildup as it should be a breeze to take off without very arduous scraping. I also have used CLR before and with decent/thourough rinsing afterwards have never had any issues whatsoever. Really any Acid will do the work for you and using some Distilled water can help uptake minerals during the cleaning process. Good Luck and you should be fine with only a day or two casually working with it

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" Desiderius Erasmus

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the responses guys. As far as my ceramic media and bioballs and sponges and all that can they be cleaned with vinegar and rinsing as well or should i just buck up and drop the extra 30 bucks?

Last edited by AdamC13; 03-30-2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 06:41 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
They can be washed and rinsed in the same way.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Awesome! that will save me some money and get me set up sooner. I'm getting quite excited and i think the footprint for this tank will be PERFECT for what i plan to do with it. Thanks again for the quick responses and help I couldn't find anything on the topic after researching for a while.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode