New 60gal aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 60gal aquarium

Wow this is a joy to me, My dad went aquarium crazy and bought a 60gal and he wants to do freshwater. and it will have plants.

We have a stand for it with a hood and its okay.

Well i just need some ideas for all the equipment were going to need.
Any websites brand names companys and articles.

So far this is what i have for what we will need

Lights
Filtration
Gravel
Heater

anyone else no anymore

Also i had a question about filtration. I know that they make bio-wheels for aquariums that big but i have never seen anybody using them on a 60gal. So what filtration do people generally use for 60gallons i know of other filtrations like wet/dry systems.

Just wanted to know if you guys could help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Lights: look for at least 120 watts of compact fluorescent or T5 lighting, with good reflectors. For example, see AH Supply.
Substrate: Cheap is Soilmaster Pro Select, best is apparently ADA soil
Filtration: Use a cannister filter, not a wet/dry or HOB, and not an undergravel filter
Heater: Needed only if room temperature varies a lot and drops below 68 F or so.
CO2: Get pressurized system.

See Rex Griggs site for more good information

Hoppy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 10:39 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Welcome to the hobby of planted-tank keeping.

Things you will need (considering that you already have the tank/stand/hood):

Lighting: Don't underestimate this one. Good lighting is necessary if you want to have a successful go at actually growing plants. I'd start by looking at AH Supply.

Substrate: Look for something that is rich in iron, with a grain size that isn't too small. Very popular choices are Eco-Complete and Flourite.

Filtration: For a planted tank of that size, you will almost certainly want to use a canister filter. They are very efficient, easy to clean, and because they are "external to the tank" they allow you to plumb other devices inline in the plumbing. Popular brands are Eheim and Rena.

Heating: If you choose a cannister filter, you may want to choose an "external" heater to keep equipment out of the tank. A good choice might be a Hydor external inline heater.

Fertilizers: If you choose to go with a high-light type of setup, the plants will grow quickly and will need to be fertilized to provide the nutrients they need to outcompete algae. There are many options for ferts, but the most cost effective is dosing dry ferts. Greg Watson is a good source for these.

CO2: A planted tank will require some source of available carbon for the plants. Whether you choose to set up a pressurized system, or go for a DIY approach depends entirely on your budget. Read some of the links below to learn more.

Other: In your planning, don't forget to consider other needed accessories (timers for the lights, a GFCI outlet if you don't already have one, Thermometer, Test Kits, etc)

To get you started, you'll want to do plenty of background reading about the subject of planted aquariums. Some suggested reading:

Rex Grigg's Guide

Chuck's Planted Aquaria Pages

Tom Barr's Estimative Index

Planted Tank Forums Search

Good luck!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode