Unhappy with flow, need suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy with flow, need suggestions

Seems like a trivial thing, but it is driving me nuts. I have two filters on my 75gal planted tank, and I can't seem to get a good flow pattern without dead spots.

Here's what I'm working with. First is a Rena XP3 with an aquamedic 1000 CO2 reactor on the outflow. The other filter is an Aquaclear AC110 (500). The aquaclear is on the left rear of the tank as you look at it and this puts it's intake in the lower left corner. Right now, I have the Rena set up so that the intake is in the lower right corner. The outflow is a drilled out spraybar that sits below and a little to the right of the AC 100 outflow.

I have tried quite a few other combinations as well. But it seems as though I always have some dead spots.

Anybody out there have this (or similar) filter setups? How do you arrange them for best flow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 03:03 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
I run a powerhead attached to 1/2 PVC that runs under the gravel and has 3 jets that come out of it to avoid these dead spots. You could add a powehead somewhere. Could you make the output of the Rena run vertical in a corner, that may help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Would it work better to either put the spraybar along the right side wall of the tank, facing across the tank. Or maybe on the back wall, but on the right side facing forward.

I doubt that I'm the only one running this type of filter combo. Somebody has to have found a way that works.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I'm not sure I follow. Is the Rena's outflow below the AC? If it is, try moving the spraybar to the left side up high pointing across the tank...

On my setup I use a homemade PVC outflow low on the backright pointing into the back wall -angled up too. About 8 inches long at the bottom of the tank. One of Wasserpest's many good suggestions to me. Its spraypainted green if you want to look at my sig pic. I have an intake in each back corner. And I have a spray bar on the left side up high. I really like the flow. Its pretty strong, but the two inline heaters, UV clarifier, and one CO2 reactor slow it up a bit. And I'm going to be stealing one of the Hydors for a new 65 gallon I have on the way. And I'm pulling the Current USA UV as I never use it and save it as a one time HOB "cure" if GW ever raises its ugly head.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I have the Rena outflow just below the AC outflow. I thought that maybe combining them would help. The AC intake is in the lower left, and the Rena intake is in the lower right. I can't change the placement of the AC outflow. I'm just trying to find the best place for the Rena spraybar. Somewhere that it is not "fighting" the AC outflow.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
If you are looking for more circulation, I would ditch the spraybar, and put a J-shaped outlet into the corner opposite from the AC, pointing towards the center of the tank. You can use the Rena Jet nozzle to increase the current further.

Spraybars do a good job for even distribution of too much flow, but once the tank fills up with plants, you might be better off with a single outlet.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I like Wasser's suggestion about ditching the spray bar.

I removed the spray bar off my 2126 and replaced it with an Eheim installation kit with a spray nozzle and immediately noticed an incredible increase in over all circulation.

I think replacing your spray bar for a nozzle may do the same for you, too.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode