Anyone have some advice? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone have some advice?

This tank looks horrible!!! What should i do to help my dad fix the tank?

Its a cichlid tank with 1 pair of julidochromis and about 15 babies. There are some anubias but they are covered in algae.

40 gallon tank
Nitrates: 40
ammonia: 0
nitrite:0
ph: 7.4
Fluval 304 for filtration
2 40 watt NO bulbs

heres some pics:

Full tank shot

Anubias covered in algae:

Front glass covered in algae:

what should i do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 06:44 PM

You've definitely got an algae problem there .

What does your dad do for fertilization? A good fertilization scheme is critical for getting good plant growth and minimizing algae.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 06:48 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow. Clean it out with some elbow grease and start all over with regards to maintaining a schedule of water changes. The 304 may not be cutting it, or at least check to make sure gunk buildup is not impeding flow.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Nitrates seem pretty high. How often does he do water changes and how much does he change? I think Sarah has the best idea so far. He needs to clean all that algae out and get his parameters in order.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
CO2! That is the magic word. For that big a tank Excel might be a bit much to pay for, but a two bottle DIY CO2 system could do wonders towards encouraging the plants to grow faster. Still, I would add some cheap stem plants too, like Hygrophilia difformis or Ludwigia Repens. The fish would probably keep them uprooted most of the time, but they still grow that way. First of all though, as sarahboborah said, clean it out, getting rid of as much of the algae as you can, even tossing any plants that are totally covered with it. And, get some fertilizers from Greg Watson, and start a regular dosing regime, plus a weekly water change. Planted tanks without lots of algae are a lot of work, in my opinion.

Hoppy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Anubias grow very slowly. I do not buying Watson ferts is warranted in this case. This is not a high growth finely tuned tank here. It's a cichlid tank with a few anubias. Giant, massive, frequent water changes are a good idea here, as well as a drastically cleaned filter. While you are at it, you might just want to replace the filter media as well. I think a DIY CO2 and some regular Fluorish will do the job. Water changes, water changes, water changes!

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 01:17 AM

Fisheyfan: Julies as a group really dont like massive water changes after being in a some what stable enviorment(evan bad ones) for a while. I suggest you start off simple. Quit fertilizing for a while, the Anubias really dont need all that much, beside fishpoop has lots of plant nutriments. Do a basic cleanup first. Scrape alge off glass, stir up substrate a little, drain about 10-15% of the water and replace. wait a day and do the blackout method for the green alges(do search on Barr and blackout method). After blackout do another clean up, filterclean, and 25% waterchange. Then start regular 25-35% weekly water changes . Use a tootbrush(new) to pick up as much BBA and hair alge as you can. This tank didnt get this way quickly and it wont be quick to recover but it will. The Julies are the only reason to do this slowly otherwise I'd say clean as much as possible , massive 50-605 water changes and the blackout...Have fun...Jim ;-)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode