Lighting....good for a giggle. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Lighting....good for a giggle.

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=31837

Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Read the whole thread it's a total hoot.

While I answer questions at that forum the knowledge level as a whole there is extremely low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
I especially like this part:
Quote:
Is there any normal plant keepers that can help me out with what to do that isn't for the rare person who spends that kind of money?
. . . "Normal" and "Rare" How many members does this site have? Over 7,000? And APC has only slightly less than that. Probably between the two (accounting for the expected overlap in memberships,) there's probably 10,000 "normal" planted tank keepers right there that use the "rare" concepts of more than .5 wpg. At .5 the plants might, might survive, but that's about it.

IMHO planted tanks are only slightly less complicated than reefkeeping. Although never having kept a reef that's only a gut feeling.

At first I thought surely this was an April Fool's joke .

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg

While I answer questions at that forum the knowledge level as a whole there is extremely low.
That was pretty funny...

"can you guys help...I don't like that answer. Can someone, who doesn't know anything help me."

First true attempt at a planted tank.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 01:20 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
lol Some people you just cant help! Why are some people so stubborn and arrogant when they dont have a clue what they are on about?
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Quote:

i have to say thats just sad... and rude. he asks for help you give him the best there is probably on the board. then says your crazy....

hes probably some 10 year old lol

-=- fish newb -=-
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
that guy pretty much got owned.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I just think he doesn't realizes that how much people like us spend these days on our tanks. Its a odd transition to buying things for a normal aquarium then jumping onto a planted aquarium. I was told in the begining that I was going to spend a lot of money, and yes indeed I did but however I think it was worth it. If he wants a nice planted tank, mind as well start with a small tank if hes complaining about the cost that is used to fund this hobby. IMO, he has underestimated you Rex which is what people do most of the time. He'll regret what he said to you after reading your guide
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the hoot, Rex. I feel like joining that forum just to tell the idiot how stupid he sounds...but I get plenty of that attitude on the koi boards and don't need more grief. All I have to do is picture in my mind his crappy little green-water-filled tank in a couple months and it makes me smile...that's what he deserves!

Newt
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jasonh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04
IMO, he has underestimated you Rex which is what people do most of the time. He'll regret what he said to you after reading your guide
I sincerely doubt he's going to even read that guide. And if he does, he's just going to think Rex is nuts and that's that.

I was seriously considering signing up to just tell him if he's that worried about money, go to home depot and get a 2-tube 48" shoplight and a single 48" and call it a day. But, I think I'm far too lazy to do that today...I have tanks to clean, stands to build, cars to wash, etc.

Jason
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04
I just think he doesn't realizes that how much people like us spend these days on our tanks.
That's very true I think. Being told to buy a US$190 light fixture to put on a tank full of $2 guppies for example can seem like a staggering amount to someone who's young, a student, or earning a basic wage, or who simply just wants a couple of plants in their fish tank to make it look better.

The first question really when someone asks what they need, is "how much can you afford?" and then work from there.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
When I re-started my interest in planted tanks I found a 120 gallon tank for sale in the freebie want ad thing they mail out once a week, for $100! I was ecstatic! Here I could get back into the hobby by just spending $100. Well, needless to say, I ended up spending a bit more before any plant grew in that tank, and I was very, very frugal. Now with my 29 gallon tank I have spent about the same all over again. And, I don't regret a penny of it. (Other than the money I wasted trying to beat AH Supply's price.)

Hoppy
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

I am surprised nobody even mentioned Walstaed to him.

Regards,
Barry

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Talking about lighting... please do torture yourselves sometime by keeping these

P stellata
Cabomba furcata ----> a very PITA
L aromatica
Rotala macrandra
Rotala walichi
Ludwigia inclinata
Myriophyllum tuberculatum

They do get my nerve.... those halides are even not enough.. I still need sunlight to keep them happy

The point is this hobby needs quality lighting when taken into high steps. I'm talking about burning lots of watt and spending money on the good stuff.

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman
Talking about lighting... please do torture yourselves sometime by keeping these

P stellata
Cabomba furcata ----> a very PITA
L aromatica
Rotala macrandra
Rotala walichi
Ludwigia inclinata
Myriophyllum tuberculatum

They do get my nerve.... those halides are even not enough.. I still need sunlight to keep them happy

The point is this hobby needs quality lighting when taken into high steps. I'm talking about burning lots of watt and spending money on the good stuff.
Don't forget your tank is much deeper than most folks' tanks, and light loses intensity exponentially with distance.

Regards,
Barry

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (32/100%)
I agree with awrieger and jdinh04, it is all what you can afford. I used to have what I called a planted tank, with the standard lighting that came with it. I would plant it, and it would look nice for quite a while, then gradually decline. I would go back to the pet store, buy more plants, and the cycle would begin again. Sporadic fertilizers, one of those all-in-one in a bottle, and not a clue about CO2. I thought this was how it was supposed to be. Then I found TPT, and I was absolutely blown away by the tanks I saw, and I had to have one. Again, not a clue as to how much money I was about to be spending! I bought a used tank and stand, and the guy gave me all his plastic, purple and silver plants. I just graciously thanked him and threw them away as soon as I got home! So there is a level at which we can be happy with our hobby, this guy just didn't have to be rude about it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode