Planting Methods - Please share yours - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Planting Methods - Please share yours

Hi:
As a newbie to planted tanks, I've struggled a bit with keeping plants in the substrate. I did a search and found that there doesn't seem to be a REALLY good thread just devoted to planting methods.

The point here (I hope) is to get everyone to share their knowledge...and 'inventions'...and techniques for planting.

First let me link to another thread I found about the same topic.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...anting+methods

As you can see, it died pretty quickly. The couple links listed are okay, but require a bit of digging. Plus, i think there is enough experience on this forum to put an external article to shame. You can include:

General planting info
Tools you recommend
Techniques
"inventions"

I guess I'll start.

One of the methods I devised (I didn't read about it anywhere else) is to take the little plastic baskets that the plants come in and trim away everything except the disk at the bottom. See pic. I then remove all the rock wool, trim the dead roots away etc and thread the base of the plant very loosely to the plastic disk. The disk won't rot, holds the plant in the substrate, and allows the roots to grow down into the substrate. I first used this method when I purchased an Amazon Sword. The sword's roots were basically non-existent...and I just couldn't keep the plant in the substrate. Frustrating. This method has worked extremely well for me.

Okay, your turn...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 06:52 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I usually use my Tom's gardening tongs/claws for planting, you can get the roots real deep into the substrate while staying dry.

Try to remove as much of the rock wool as possible. A good 20:1 bleach dip before setting is good too.

Note: this is generally speaking since all plants have individual planting preferences.

For rooted plants: cut the tips of the roots to induce new growth [don't cut the roots of anubias]. Make a hole, insert (deep), cover, and then slightly pull up on it [Vallis and sags should have the upper portion of the crown visible].

For bulbs and rhizomes: Again, cut some of the roots. Some of the bulb should be protruding from the substrate [banana plants should be more out than in]. Plant rhizomes at an angle so that while still deep, the sprouting end, or "eyes", of the tuber will not be restricted.

For stem plants: If possible try to plant them in groups with each stem having its own hole -this will curtail the spreading of rotting roots. Take off some of the lower leaves to avoid them from being covered -new roots will sprout from these nodes anyway.

Fern species and some bolbitus: Don't plant directly in the ground. Anchor them to a piece of wood or rock with some fishing line till they take hold. Java fern my be planted in a shaded area.

Floating plants: Avoid trimming the root shoots. Can be planted with the use of weights. You can skip the weights if you have a good pair of planting claws which will allow you to set them nice and deep into the bottom material.

And always make sure to leave enough room around the roots for future growth -when planting near the back and edges leave some space in between the plant and the glass- this way growth won't be stifled and getting a scrubber in there for algae scrapping won't be more of a chore than it already is.

Cheers
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Ever since I changed to heavy silica sand, all I have to do is just tuck the plants into the substrate, and that is all. The sand has a very good holding capacity and it is a very fun substrate to plant.

For the stubborn ones, my old trick will help just fine. Wrap the bottom part with filter floss material, which kinda emulates artificial roots for newly planted, especially those bald cuttings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman
". . . For the stubborn ones, my old trick will help just fine. Wrap the bottom part with filter floss material, which kinda emulates artificial roots for newly planted, especially those bald cuttings."
What a great idea . Filter floss (or poly batting) is inert so shouldn't affect anything but gives the substrate something to grab onto while allowing the roots to grow through.

For myself I find my long (8" I believe. Acquired from PetsMart in the Reptile section,) tweezers indispensable. I have the tongs also but find them awkward to use although they are better it seems for rosette type plants. Just put the stem in the tweezers and plunge it into the substrate a goodly distance. Gently jiggle the tweezers as you release and pull them out. The little jiggling action seems to help settle the plant. I will usually snip roots off to a reasonable length. Most plants will actually take quite a bit of abuse with no harm done.

The thing I haven't quite figured out is how to "plant" anubia spp. in the substrate while leaving the rhizome exposed. Best I could come up with was strapping 'em to small rocks and planting most of that.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
RoseHawke. You may want to try my disk method. It is easier than tying on rocks (I also do that sometimes). If you thread the disk loose enough, the disk can be planted deeper while still keeping the rhizome out of the substrate. If you sink the disk in at an angle, it goes in pretty well.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
That might work, although it seems like anubias have a real wish to float. I'll try it.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Gar

PTrader: (6/100%)
So this is a major blast from the past, but that disc method seems very interesting. xD I'll have to try it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode