Cichlids + Plants?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Cichlids + Plants??

Okay, I've been coverted. It's Lumpyfunks fault. I never want another tank without plants. Hooray!

But before I was converted, I learned a lot about cichlids. I love the idea of fish that nurture and care for their young (or eat them, but you know what I'm getting at)

I already have a tank with Rams and Angels... I'm looking for more. I have HARD water, so I'm hoping for something that will do fine in it. I know that is sometimes an issue with Rams and Angels (I don't have pairs yet so I don't know for sure)

So.... the big question- has anyone had success with other cichlids and plants? Help me out here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (55/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyhead
Okay, I've been coverted. It's Lumpyfunks fault. I never want another tank without plants. Hooray!

But before I was converted, I learned a lot about cichlids. I love the idea of fish that nurture and care for their young (or eat them, but you know what I'm getting at)

I already have a tank with Rams and Angels... I'm looking for more. I have HARD water, so I'm hoping for something that will do fine in it. I know that is sometimes an issue with Rams and Angels (I don't have pairs yet so I don't know for sure)

So.... the big question- has anyone had success with other cichlids and plants? Help me out here.
This thread should inspire you
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...ghlight=TRAVIS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We made it !!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
You can check my thread of my 55 in my sig. I dont know how inspiring it is but it could give you an idea that it can work. Its alot of trial an error I will tell you that much. You will never have shrimp or small algae eaters and palnts will get destroyed at any given time!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 05:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow...impressive tank. I was going to post up some pics of my poor attempt in my 125. But after that....I have some work to do. That thread really demonstrates what having CO2 can do.

I think I'll have a much tougher time, since I don't have CO2 and my Cichlids are SA's (Chocolates, Texas) and are much larger. I am forever redoing the plants because the cichlids are uprooting them and shifting the gravel.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow- Thanks! I am inspired. And everyone else says it can't be done! Any favorite plants that you don't have to replant all the time, or ones I should steer clear of.

Right now I'm thinking Lake Tanganyika Species, but don't have my heart set on them. Otherwise, Mbuna. My hubby doesn't want me to go for the big guys that need live fish for food. He's a softy.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 06:56 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
That tank inspired me to do a similar tank.

I did it, but not nearly as nice, but I do keep a few plants in my mixed cichlid tank without many problems.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
A pet peeve of mine is when I see threads like this. Cichlid is a VERY broad family of fish.

There are MANY soft water cichlids.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 11:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
A pet peeve of mine is when I see threads like this. Cichlid is a VERY broad family of fish.

There are MANY soft water cichlids.
Actually, I thought the same thing as you until I reread the original thread. The author is actually saying that he might have problems with Rams and Angels because of the hard water in his area. He wasn't talking about the plants.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I know that. But the assumption is that ALL cichlids need hard water and are hard on plants.

Why not phrase it more like......

Hardwater and plants? There are fish that live in hard water that are NOT cichlids.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

Point taken.

But I think he might be facing the same problem as me in that I am having trouble with my plants because my chocolates and texas move so much gravel and chew up the plants so much that I am having trouble keeping all but the hardiest varieties. I'll let him elaborate himself though.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Actually, I am looking for cichlids specifically-Yes, I know there are many kinds for both hard and soft water. And yes I know that is vague because as I stated, my ram and angel both seem fin in my very hard water despite their general preference for soft. However, I am looking at getting more aggressive species, such as African (probably Lake Tanganyika Species as previously stated)

2wheelsx2 is correct, I have been concerned for the aggression they tend to have on plants and before I started out wanted to see if others had had success, what species of both plants and cichlids they have getting along. Right now the tank is empty, so I'm really just doing some research here on other peoples success and struggles.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyhead

You will be fine with any of the South American dwarf cichlids. Apistogramma, Nannacara, Laetacara, Dicrossus, etc. I can't speak for all of them but I know you can keep Apistogramma in hard alkaline water even though they are a "soft water" cichlid.

I had wild Apistogramma in my tank which had a GH of 22 and KH of 18 and they did fine.

If you really want Africans, you should ask around over at http://www.cichlid-forum.com.

Regards,
Barry

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode