are snails good or bad for tanks? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
are snails good or bad for tanks?

guys would like to ask if snails are good or bad for planted tanks?

what are the pros and cons of havign snails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 10:18 AM

I have some pest snails in my planted tanks and they are pests as they eat the plants but I also have lots of malaysian trumpet snails (MTS) and they are great. The MTS borrow in the substrate for most of the day which keeps my substrate aerated and they only seem to eat algae, dead plants, fish food (that my corys miss) and fish poop. You do end up with allot of MTSs in a tank but they are only out at night and do have allot of benifits I guess its down to how much you like em...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 10:26 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
So long as the snails aren't eating good plant tissue (and all the variants I've inherited only seem to eat at dead spots on plants), then I consider them good. I've had times when I've had more than I wanted, and I'll occassionally try to thin them out. Though, I think I've realized over time that getting too many is a sign that I'm overfeeding the fish. So, in that sense, they are a bit of an indicator. Double bonus .

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 12:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Depends on the species.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
I've got pest pond snails . If it weren't for the cherries in the tank I'd toss a couple of loaches in there. OTOH, I've got a couple of ramshorns that hitchhiked in on some H. micranthemoides that I got that I think are pretty cool. They're certainly prettier . Haven't noticed any of 'em eating good plant tissue though.

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:29 PM

The main thing to do would be decide which snails you like and google some info about them. I have a few mystery snails (don't eat the plants, but don't do much either); nerites (algae eating machines) and a few malayasian trumpet snails that I rarely see. I am actually planning on adding more snails to my tank as most eat decaying plant matter.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
They are good because they eat detritus and algae and convert that into little fertilizer sticks for plants.

They are bad because a tank full of snails isn't everyones aesthetic ideal.

They are good because some fishies eat them.

They are bad because they get into filters and screw with the impellers.

They are good because they are part of our little ecosystem.

They are bad because they tend to overpopulate.

They are good because kids find them interesting.

etc etc etc

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
OTOH, I've got a couple of ramshorns that hitchhiked in on some H. micranthemoides that I got that I think are pretty cool. They're certainly prettier . Haven't noticed any of 'em eating good plant tissue though.
Hmm, that's interesting. I mentioned some time back in a thread that I had read that ramshorns were okay with plants and also don't reproduce quite as quickly as some. Somebody jumped all over me for saying it. I'm glad to hear that at least someone has had that assertion proven by their experience.

Snails are neither all good nor all bad. What they are is inevitable. First few times I tried setting up a planted tank, I tried to eliminate snails from the tank. Failed. Have since given up. My ram used to do a good job with the little ones though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode