Best type of rock - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Best type of rock

What type of rock is best for a planted tank. I already have a high kH and don't want it to go any higher.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 06:03 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
As long as whatever rock you use is inert, wouldn't the idea of "the best" be a matter of personal opinion? It would also be influenced by the particular application. Some types of rock (and colors) would work better than others if you were trying to create a particular look or to match a certain biotope.

Do you have something in mind already that might look good? If so, why not test it. Get some muriatic acid from the paint supply section of your local hardware store and pour a bit on. If it bubbles, then move on to the next selection.

Last edited by sparrow; 03-31-2006 at 01:54 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 06:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow
As long as whatever rock you use is inert, wouldn't the idea of "the best" would be a matter of personal opinion? It would also be influenced by the particular application. Some types of rock (and colors) would work better than others if you were trying to create a particular look or to match a certain biotope.

Do you have something in mind already that might look good? If so, why not test it. Get some muriatic acid from the paint supply section of your local hardware store and pour a bit on. If it bubbles, then move on to the next selection.
Is it really that important that the rock is not inert? With the acid test we are testing for Carbonates right? I personally use "Utah Lace Rock" in my tanks. Yes, it makes the water a little more hard, which is pretty hard since it is pretty hard anyhow. It makes CO2 a little less precise, but other than that, what harm should I look for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First true attempt at a planted tank.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 06:23 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safado
Is it really that important that the rock is not inert? With the acid test we are testing for Carbonates right? I personally use "Utah Lace Rock" in my tanks. Yes, it makes the water a little more hard, which is pretty hard since it is pretty hard anyhow. It makes CO2 a little less precise, but other than that, what harm should I look for?
Yes, testing for Carbonates.

But dissolved carbonates are, by very definition, a factor in the carbonate hardness of water, kh. Anything that raised the kh of the water column over time would be undesirable in the setting of a plant-focused aquarium. At high enough levels of kh, the co2 estimations could be grossly off. That would be particularly dangerous when using a ph controller. High kh levels also influences the ability to lower ph by adding co2 due to the buffering. I, for one, have to rely on using co2 to lower the ph of my water to a desirable level. Therefore I am particularly aware of carbonate sources. Also, certain plants are said to be harder to cultivate in a high kh environ.

Admittedly though, for hard water applications like keeping certain Cichlids, then choosing rocks based on their inert properties would be less important. Since Anthony specifically asked about rocks for a planted tank without raising kh, I answered with a suggestion for testing whatever choice he does make.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 06:42 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just go with slate or granite and murder the thing.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus
Yeaa... if you dont mind the light colour, go with silica / quartz sand. Sometimes they come naturally as a sand form also.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode