If you had the chance to completely redo your tank would you do anything different? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you had the chance to completely redo your tank would you do anything different?

Hi, in a couple of months Iím going to be doing a short move about 15 miles down the road from where I currently live. Iíll have to completely tear down both my 75-gallon planted tank and my 58-gallon cichlid tank for the move and I thought that Iíd use this opportunity to re-aquascape both the tanks.
Iím also trying to think of what else I should do given this opportunity to add or change almost anything. Iíve been thinking about adding an under gravel heater, more substrate, and some new rockwork but other then that I really canít think of anything else so I thought Iíd ask what you would do differently if you could completely redo your tank without spending more then a couple hundred dollars.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 03:37 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would not use Seachem Onyx Sand again.

The plants grow okay in it, but for a lot less money you get more Ecocomplete or ADA per kg, and which does the same or better job. The description of how much area a bag of Onyx can cover was also highly misleading. Divide what they claim by 2 or 3, which means you'll have to buy 2 or 3 times more than you think you'd need. Like I had to.

And then it's an ugly, light gray eyesore like a dry bitumen road (which I couldn't see before I pulled up all my hairgrass).

And finally, all my Sterbae Cories have lost their whiskers on its sharp edges. Definitely not Cory friendly substrate.

I don't like it at all. The only reason I still have it in there is because it cost so much (for so little of it) and by removing it, I'd be admitting I was a fool for buying it and I don't want to be doing that!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 03:54 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
1. I would wash my flourite better
2. I would get pressurized co2 right from the beginning

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 04:04 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would get a very, very large tank, use ADA soil, and install pendant lighting.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
If I could redo my 100 gal tank...

I would not use an undergravel heater!!!

Talk about wasted money.

I will never wash substrate again, except for the very top layer. "Dust" moves down in the substrate if you 1) remove as much water as possible after adding the new substrate and then 2) add water slowly to the new tank. Really slowly. Like dripping over a couple of hours. A little faster once there are a few inches of water in the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 05:24 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Never wash gravel again thats fine but my flourite makes the water cloudy now if i re-arrange it would be a friggin mud puddle if i didnt.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Get a bigger tank to begin with! I curse the narrowness of the 55 every time I do any plant re-arranging in there. The only reason I'd tear this one down in the foreseeable future will be to put a 125 in its place. And then the husband figure can have the 55 to put his beloved "diving sea dog" in .

SlŠinte!
Cindy

-
ó 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

ó lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 09:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
bigger tank, start with flourite, get good lighting or reuse my t5's, cram it full with driftwood and twigs, few plants here and there, blackwater expert, BUNCHES of cardinals, cories and a school of wild discus.

even though im not moving i still want to do this. haha

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I was just thinking about this today. If I could do a complete redo I would do a Northeastern Biotope. I would collect all plants, hardscape, substrate, fish from my area.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I would have got medicine to cure my collectoritus

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I would have bought a canister filter from the get-go.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I would have held out for a somewhat bigger tank, and would never try a cork back wall again, especially one with Java Moss on it. And, I would go for the AH Supply light kit from the start.

Hoppy
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:33 PM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Well actually I am gonna completely redo the tank this summer!! I am gonna get a 75G, nice canopy stand an hood, re plumb the system, an put in soil master for substrate.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:44 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Pretty much everything already mentioned, plus I would put all possible tanks in close proximity so they could share the same co2 cylinder. Oh yea, I'd buy a nice manifold, too.

I also really agree with the pendant lighting
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I would place some sort of divider from about 1/2 inch below the substrate all the way down to the bottom of the tank so that my hairgrass wouldn't send runners into the HC field. What runners did make it over the divider would be easy to remove without disturbing the substrate.

Also, as with all my tanks, I would start off with more plants.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode