Woohoo Finally We Know What Fish To Do - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Amanda Send a message via Yahoo to Amanda
Talking Woohoo Finally We Know What Fish To Do

My hubby and I have decided to do Mollies, Platies, and Guppies....We are going to try Java moss and Java fern in this tank for the most part since it is a low light tank.

Amanda

1 29 gallon community tank 1 live plant 7 platies, 2 kissing gourami's 1 Danio, 3 corys
1 1 gallon tank
1 betta
55 gallon planted african cichlid tank 7 cichlids 3 plecos 1 cory

Whatever you put into this life is what you will get out of it ~God Bless~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
Wow... Youare going to have a million new fish by the time summer rolls around. I love it! Have you thought about what you'd do with all the babies when you run out of room in your tank?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

If I could harness the power of the sun, I'd focus it on my plants and watch them grow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:10 PM

Welcome to baby heaven lol. You might as well just setup a sex club

Im only kidding, livebearers are awesome, they are honoured enough to be included in my own name. Good luck and have fun!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Not really sure yet what to do with the babies I have a feeling my ass is going to be upgrading the tank lol....However I do have another problem...What can I plant in a 12 gallon eclipse with a 13 watt bulb....sigh. As far as the babies go I will probably sell alot of them. If my tank becomes to full. That is basically why we only have the amount of fish we have picked but it may be to much I may reduce the guppies down to one pair and the platies down to 3 dunno yet but that is not going to help much since it is a built in baby factory basically. How much salt do I need in this tank since mollies need salt?????

1 29 gallon community tank 1 live plant 7 platies, 2 kissing gourami's 1 Danio, 3 corys
1 1 gallon tank
1 betta

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:33 PM

May i suggest a good female to male ratio especially with guppies as they harrass them. 3 female to one male is always good but you can get away with 2 females to 1. I should really get some more females myself..
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:34 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
They dont NEED salt but they do a little better with it. Ive kept them with no salt . If you do add dont add to much your java moss may not like it . Dont quote me but i belive its one teaspoon for each 5 gal be sure to use aquarium salt
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How the hell do you know the fems from the males....Fosters and smith sells fancy guppies by pairs GRRRR...

Amanda

1 1 gallon tank
1 betta

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:37 PM

males have longer fancier fins, they also have (for lack of remebering technical name) a little like penis fin thing on their underside that shoots sperm out or something. Lets not get too graphic here otherwise il get a phone call from PlayFish.

Females are generally fatter (nearly always pregnant anyhow) and have shorter fins.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you that was a nice decription the guppies anatomy lol.....OH DSH...how do i find a better bulb or light set up or how do I get plant life to grow in this tank.

Amanda

1 1 gallon tank
1 betta

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:18 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
i have the same tank i put in a 36w kit from AH (http://ahsupply.com/)
you have to take out the existing light and put in this kit you have to drill a few holes and do a bit of wireing but on the eclipse you dont really have a choice of a premade or exact replacement. Here is a link of the tank if you want to see what it looks like with that light.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...g?d=1143424876

Dave
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
You're getting yours from www.drsfostersmith.com? Their prices are kind of high, especially with shipping......why not order them from aquabid? You are sure to have a better selection and definitely better strains. I suggest the green moscows, God those are beautiful.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can grow anubias in a low light tank too, for more variety. I had a 125 gallon tank a few years ago, with mostly platies and guppies in it, and the platies soon dominated the tank. I found that guppies couldn't tolerate as high a temperature as the platies, and I had this one at 80 F most of the time. As far as sex goes (fish sex, that is) it is extremely obvious which is the male and which is the female - just look for the very dark anal spot on the females, and their bigger size, less svelte figures, and dull coloration. Plus, it is really up to the males to determine who is a female, and I found they do that instantly and continuously.

Hoppy
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was going to order my black mollies from drs f&s dunno where else to get them.
Amanda

1 1 gallon tank
1 betta

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 12:21 AM

One of my tanks is an Eclipse 12 with the same light you have. I've been growing the following plants in it for a couple of years with no problems....they just grow more slowly.

Anubias nana
Crypts
Java Fern
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks now i have a list of 4 plants that should do just fine....any ideas on a floating plant i could do that may work???

1 1 gallon tank
1 betta

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode