Idea for diveded tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Idea for diveded tank?

hey everyone, I thought of this today thought it sounded prety cool. I was thinking down the line of getting say a 1-300gal tank. and spiltting it into 3-4parts. For my different types of fish (i have cichlids, and 3 various planted tanks with gouramis plecos, Dwarf puffers, and more coming someday)

I always understock my tanks Drastically. So each space only have 2-4 med size fish max. Anyways I thought large planted sides for two differetn types of fish. Then the middle would be open up and be my rocky cichlid spot. All divided with a solid peice of plastic mesh dividers. The tap water here is more then hard enough to support cichlids so im not worried about the different types of water. I keep them now in just tap nothing added. And they are all happy.

Just wondering what others though. I think if you spent some time and scaped it pretty decently the tie in to the rocks would look nice. Then if u used a pretty transparent divider it look nice too. Then you would have one large easy to maintain tank with all your fish happy togeather haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 05:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Wouldn't this divided tank require almost three times the work of one tank? Each section would have to be cleaned, pruned, replanted, vacuumed, etc. and the water in each section changed. It could look really good and allow you to keep incompatible fish seemingly together. But, would the fish keep swimming into the divider, unless it were allowed to be a bit dirty? And, to properly circulate the water you would need three powerheads or filters, with three sets of hoses, three CO2 connections, etc. So basically it would be three individual tanks sitting side by side.

Hoppy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

well the divider would be a mesh type. Like a screen. not glass. SO the current will flow through each section. But i was thinking of gettin spraybars also. and as for cleaning each side. You only suck the gravel maybe every 3 weeks different parts of the tank this size i beleive. Pruning would be no different.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Sounds interesting! I hope you try this and let us know how it works out.

Hoppy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 07:13 PM

I was thinking of doing something similar for my guppies. One of my main tanks as sort of a show tank for the males. Then this smaller tank would be divided into two parts, one half for new fry and the other half to hold my few females. When i wanted more fry id stick a couple of males in the female section and take them out once they were pregnant. Horay!

Good luck with that, iv always wanted to do it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode