what are root tabs and where do i get them? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
what are root tabs and where do i get them?

what are root tabs and where do i get them? woot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
If you don't know what they are, why do you want them?

You can get the Seachem ones here:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...tegory_id=3143
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

didn't say i wanted them, just wanted to know where to get them lol

ty

-cyang

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 09:13 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
as stated above you can get em at bigalsonline . I have the same question if you dont know what they are , why do you want them? . BTW they are fert tablets placed in the substrate near or under plants they come in handy for heavy root feeders like swords.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
Bigalsonline.com
Drsfostersmith.com

Both have Seachem Flourish Root tabs.

Or you can try aquabotanic.com for their new Natural Advantage Root Tabs

I think aquariumplant.com has something of thier own too, but I can't find the link.

Happy Hunting!

the KK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

sweet, thanks! yeah, i'm planning on getting swords and read on a bunch of forum topics that you need root tabs. i figured they were ferts, but didn't know where to get them since my lfs doesnt carry them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
I use the ones from aquariumplants.com

And be careful, too many placed incorrectly (not deep enough) can cause problems...and remember where you put them so you don't up-root them.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 03:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
there are at least a couple different kinds of "root tabs", or least they're referred to that way. some people use commercial terrestrial fertilizer "spikes" or "tabs" like jobes, osmocote pellets, or miracle gro sticks deep in the substrate to provide MACROS for the plants at the root level. There are also the Seachem variety of root tabs, which are mostly iron and other MICROS, and don't replace the need for adding macros in some way. I've use both, and found that I got better results with water column dosing using the EI method, even for "root feeders" like crypts and swords (but I'm sure they wouldn't have objected to getting both root AND water column dosing). The most important points are mentioned above... stick them DEEP and be careful not to pull them out when moving plants, etc, as they can turn to mush in your tank, and foul the water very quickly (especially the MACRO type that use Urea as the Nitrogen source, instead of the more fish-friendly Nitrate). Uprooting the MICRO type tabs is not as big of a deal, but can still make a mess and cause unwanted algae blooms if enough materials are released into the water column. I would carefully consider the benefits and drawbacks of using them before giving them a try. Drs. Foster/Smith and Bigals are both great sources (and usually the cheapest) for the Seachem tabs. For the MACRO type tabs, look for Jobes Sticks Fern/Palm, as they have the most appropriate ratio of nutrients for this application. A combination of the two might be the most beneficial if you don't plan on dosing the water column. In any case, I hope your questions are adequately answered

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode