I need help with a near disaster - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I need help with a near disaster

Last night before going to bed, I notice one of my Barbs hanging out at the surface. All the others were lying on the gravel. I quickly flicked on the light to see a horror. All my fish were either white or clear and looking almost dead. One of my grouamis was stuck to the filter intake gasping.

What seems to be the problem is that my timer for my airpump did not click over and about an hour after I clicked it on, everyone was recovering.

Here is what I want to make sure of.

While turning on the air seemed to help things, I am not 100% sure it was the problem.

I can eliminate any toxins because my other tank was ok.
WC was done 48 hours before this happened
Fish were OK before the lights went out
I am using DIY CO2
I made no changes to my setup
I have little to no surface movement

The thing is the fish went from OK to near death in less than 3 hours. I originally only ran the airpump for pH control and never thought of it as critical. At least it used to not be critical, but I will admit I have denser plant growth and a few more fish today in my 29g.

So what do you think. Could my DIY be putting out too much CO2. Could my plants use all the oxygen in the water in under 3 hours at night? Combination of both maybe?

Any thoughts would be helpful, nut I does seem that they fish were suffocating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
What is the kH of your water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Hve not tested it in a few weeks as it seemd to stabalize at-near 4. I have tested my pH and it has stayed 6.5.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'd be tempted to not think it was lack of oxygen--gouramis aren't sensitive to that due to their labyrinth organ. Not to say that lack of oxygen couldn't affect something else that would affect them negatively, but that's just my first thought.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 03:56 PM
Are these real?

It does sound somewhat like a pH crash. Maybe check... sometimes water suppliers change things around. Also, of course, the usual suspects ammonia and nitrites.

Keep in mind that sleeping fishies often turn white or otherwise lose their color.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

I had the same thoughts about the Gruoamis because my Betta seemed to be fine. I also thought about them sleeping, but if they were, it was a very deep slep and thery were unable to wake up. I have also never seen a Cardinal turn almost totally clear missing all the blue, black and most of the red. My Tiger barbs were white and my Flame Gouramis were a pale yellow. The Rams were were all white/yellow as well as my cories.

I doubt Nitrite or Ammonia buildup since there was a 40% WC 48 hour before. I do a small WC mid week and then the 40% on the weekend. I have yet to miss the schedule. However, I will be sure to check when I get home.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
It does sound somewhat like a pH crash.
I concur. And not just because I've always wanted to say "I concur"!

Are any of the fish giving off any white bits of slime coat, or look like they have a slight white film on them, especially around the face? Maybe you caught it in time before anything serious like that happened though.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You do need some surface movement, too. That doesn't mean ripples, but any floating duckweed, for example, should be gently in motion. That helps keep the O2 level up in the water. Actually, airstone bubbles work almost entirely by stirring up the surface to improve oxygen absorption.

Hoppy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Yeah, I'm with Wasser and awrieger on this one. pH crashes are not pretty. Get some crushed coral in the filter to help keep the buffer up if it turns out to be a pH crash. Of course use some baking soda to raise the kH too.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Is it likely to have a CO2 crash from a DIY 2 litter bottle?

I am wondering if it was just due to no surface movement and plant nighttime respiration.

Just wondering what is more probable.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keck
Is it likely to have a CO2 crash from a DIY 2 litter bottle?
It is possible if kH is close to 0.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Ran check on my water. I wanted to do it at night to make sure though the air is running this time.

KH- 5.5
GH 6
PH 6.5

No detectable levels of ammonia or nitrites.

Seems my KH and GH have moved up 1-2 degrees over past 6 weeks. I have been adding the recommended dosing of Epson salts and Baking Soda to my soft tap water.

Here is a where I get confused.

Looking at my CO2 chart, I should have a CO2 concentration of about 55 mg/l. This is higher than recommended levels (of chart), but is it too much?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode