Is this a good test kit? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Is this a good test kit?

I found a master test kit that tests everything I think Im going to need to test for such as Nitrates, Phosphates, PH, Hardness, and Calcium etc... Is this test kit accurate?

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...tegory_id=3087

Thanks,

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I've never used that kit, but from what I've read the best thing about it is the nice box it comes in (in other words, it's inaccurate).
If someone who uses it, and likes it, please let me know.

AP (Aquarium Pharm.) make a master test kit.
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...d1=3233;pcid2=

The ones I use religiously are:
pH - AP
kH - AP
Nitrate - SeaChem (I don't think the AP one is very accurate)
Phosphate - SeaChem

Ammonia, and Nitrite have basically sat there since I used heavy fast growing stem plants to cycle.

gh I test once a month just to see if things have changed (my tap seems stable).

Just my .02

Walter

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Its made by Hagen so I figured it would be a good brand.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
Hagen is good. I hate test kits..I rarely use them myself. But I suppose it's good to have in case there's a problem..but by the time you use them they're old, expired, or potentially unreliable..so I say what's the point? In anycase, hagen is good, AP is good too. Used them both, as reliable as they can be.

Good Luck!

the KK

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 11:25 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplosive
I found a master test kit that tests everything I think Im going to need to test for such as Nitrates, Phosphates, PH, Hardness, and Calcium etc... Is this test kit accurate?

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...tegory_id=3087

Thanks,

Alex
I've used it. I've used many others. I didn't love it. It's a bit more annoying to work with and I'm not so sure that the color interpretations are any easier than with APs "cheapy" master test kit.

With APs, if you look at the sample immediately after adding the reagent and compare it to the color chart (for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate) and then again after the prescribed times, you can get a really "good feel" about the levels of each based on the color change over time. Other AP tests are easier. Just be careful on the pH test. Try to read it in daylight as opposed to incandescent or really white flourescent light...but, you're going to have these color comparison problems with most kits.

Hold the sample to the side of the color charts against the white background. If you are still having trouble matching the sample to the colors, hold the tube upright with the white card under it and look down into the tube.

I use AP exclusively now. Hope this helps. BTW, I have no financial interest in AP.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 02:51 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have used AP exclusively in the past. As mentioned, the pH tests can be difficult to decipher. I eventually bought a Coralife/Hanna ph probe.

I recently purchased the Seachem kits...and then a Hagen GH/KH. I like the Hagen. If I had to choose one over the other, it would be AP.

I say buy it and use the heck out of it. The reactants last about a year or so...then they lost their accuracy in some cases. If you don't like the Hagen kit, then start phasing them out.

Cheers
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks everyone!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode