what kind of yeast to use for DIY - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
what kind of yeast to use for DIY

ok ive been useing just old plain bread yeast seems to work ok but dont last long . so today i went out and bought some champagne yeast. heres the problem its been set up for over two hours and no co2 yet . when i used bread yeast it only took like a hour and off it it was running does the champagne yeast take alot long to get going??? or did i do something wrong and no i have no leaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I have set mine up before and it hasn't started for a good day and a half. I wouldn't worry.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 12:38 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
The bread yeast that I used to use (I think Fleischmanns, or Red Star or something like that) needed about 12 hours to start full production. Therefore, I always set up bottles a day in advance.

Before going with Champagne yeast, did you use the "Rapid Rise" kind of yeast? I don't remember when and where, but I read it's better to use the regular dry yeast. This might be why your mixtures didn't last very long.

No experience with fancy yeasts here... but I guess it is possible that it takes longer to start up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Cool i just hope this stuff last longer then the bread yeast does
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 01:31 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I tried several different kinds of yeast and found the brewer's yeasts to be the best. Champagne yeast in particular.

Those yeasts can handle higher levels of alcohol that are a product of the fermentation process that also produces your CO2. These yeasts last longer and produce more CO2.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 06:18 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I found a homebrew shop nearby and they sell this wine/champagne yeast made by Red Star. Here is the pic:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/f...-champagne.jpg

They sell it for 50 cents each and its good for like 2 teaspoons or so... I used 1 pack with 2 cups of sugar in a 1.8 litre gatorade bottle just to experiment... I have the airline going into another glass of water to count bubbles... Ive had it going for 3 weeks now and its been producing bubbles at a pretty good rate non stop.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 02:28 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

That's the same yeast I have used with great results. I have passed packages of that around the state and mailed it across the world and people have all had the same results as I.

Give it a try!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 04:30 AM

Momotaro, I'm using that same Red Star yeast too, but i'm having trouble getting decent co2 production. Do you know if this yeast works well with colder temp? I keep my tanks in the basement where its always cold. I was thinking that these champagne yeasts tolerate lower temps. I'm getting 12bpm consistently for about 1 month. I was expecting to get a higher bubble count.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

i also got that same yeast and i think it takes more heat to start to really kick off some co2. the store i went to have some pretty cool one gallon class jugs with nice caps on them kicking a idle around plus they got a heat belt that goes around them. they also so sell co2 tanks but they want 92 bucks for them for a 5 lb tank and they fill them up there
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey
Momotaro, I'm using that same Red Star yeast too, but i'm having trouble getting decent co2 production. Do you know if this yeast works well with colder temp? I keep my tanks in the basement where its always cold. I was thinking that these champagne yeasts tolerate lower temps. I'm getting 12bpm consistently for about 1 month. I was expecting to get a higher bubble count.
Maybe something like this would work for you:

http://store.thebrewhut.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=152
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 02:17 AM

Interesting product, keeps the brew at 73 degrees. My basement is around 60 degrees. I used to put my bottle on top of the hood of my compact fluorescents. It helped a little.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 02:59 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

The colder basement is probably what is slowing down the DIY rig.

The heater shown is pretty cool, but might not be practical for a juice jug. One of our more clever members got around the cold room issue by putting their DIY CO2 generator jug in an old cooler filled with a bit of water heated with a small aquarium heater. That neat and simple solution seemed to work out well for them.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 04:31 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
The colder basement is probably what is slowing down the DIY rig.

The heater shown is pretty cool, but might not be practical for a juice jug. One of our more clever members got around the cold room issue by putting their DIY CO2 generator jug in an old cooler filled with a bit of water heated with a small aquarium heater. That neat and simple solution seemed to work out well for them.

Mike
Actually thats a pretty good idea... put it in a larger container with an aquarium heater... that would work. Just be careful not to spill the water.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:06 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Glad you think it will work!

I wish I could remember whose idea it was!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:47 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Mike, since you've done some experimenting with this yeast, I figure you've probably worked out a pretty good recipe and system for getting the most CO2 out of it. What size bottles do you use and what all do you put in the bottle with the Red Star champagne yeast? (And how much of the yeast?)

I'm just restarting my DIY CO2 and also planning to order some brewing supplies from a homebrew supplier for a batch of beer, so I figured I'd give this a whirl. Just curious as to what, exactly, should go in the 2L bottles I'm planning to work with!

Thanks in advance!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode