"Melting red plants" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
"Melting red plants"

Are "melting" plants indicative of insufficient light or insufficient nutrients, or both? In my thread on my 20 gallon tall, you'll see the red (stem) plants (unfortunately, I don't know what they are, and will probably never know now). I had originally planted them on the side, but someone suggested that I want to put them where the max amount of light was, so I moved them to the center of the tank. Anyway, some leaves started to lighten after a few days and then I noticed that a few leaves started to get translucent and then eventually just was mush. Each stem started out this way, and now I only have two left alive. The rest are just skeletal stems (do these parts die also?).

All the other plants, including the Riccia, are doing fantastic. The anacharis is growing at least an inch a day, the vals are shooting runners everywhere, and the chainsword and hairgrass are doing great also.

My parameters are:
65 W (Coralife PC)
pH = 7
KH = 3
GH = 5
DIY CO2 with Hagen ladder about 8 bpm
Red Sea Florabase (about 2.5 to 3 inches where the red plants are)
Temp = 84 (fighting ick right now, but normally at 78)

I dose with Kent FW supplements once a week and I have some root tabs where the jungle vals and swords are. Any ideas? Do I not have enough light for red varieties?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Generally, most attractive red stem plants love it bright, very soft water. By the sound of your tank, it seems that hardness and lighting is not the factor (but your lighting could be the factor on very few plants which demand more light than an aquarium with normal PC can supply).

Any chance of that red plant pic? perhaps the stuff is not genuine aquarium plant...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I think you have plenty of light, but too much for the CO2 system you have. Once you get over 2 watts or so per gallon you really need to provide all of the nutrients the plants need in ample quantity. I'm not familiar with Kent's fertilizers, so I don't know if they provide enough nitrogen, potassium, phosphate, and micro elements, plus you need around 20 to 30 ppm of CO2, and you seem to only have about 10 ppm. If your red plant is/was Red Temple Plant (alternathera reinickii) it needs good fertilizing and CO2 as well as light, or it just sits there waiting to die. One way to help the CO2 situation is to get some Seachem Excel, which supplies an alternative form of carbon, and use it in addition to the CO2 you now have. I suggest you do some reading in http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm

Hoppy

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 01:48 AM

PTrader: (27/100%)
Maybe the plants is turning from its emmerse state to submerse state, where did you get them from? Pics would definitely help.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 03:54 AM

From the picture on your thread, it looks like it might have been rotala macranda..... do you have the original picture or can you blow up that one part?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The CO2 could be a problem. It's probably too late now though. I guess I should try to get some Seachem Excel and see if it helps. As for the insufficient CO2, I'm not at a stage where I can add pressurized CO2, so I guess I am stuck without red plants for a while. Thanks for the link, I'll have to spend some time there. I have read the Rex Grigg pages, so I did have some idea, but just didn't know what else to do to boost CO2.

Here's a pic of the original pic from my other thread:

This is a blow up of that pic:

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It's a bit late to take a better pic though, as there are pretty much nothing but stems left, so I am probably throwing them out this week and temporarily planting some wisteria there. I'll probably replace that whole section, including the anacharis with bunches of Cabomba, including some reddish variety.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 08:57 PM

Thats Alternanthera reineckii, it turns white transparent when it doesnt get enough co2. I just put mine in a tank with no co2 and it melts and turn white in a very short period.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This is the supplements I am adding:

http://www.kentmarine.com/freshwater/fwp.html

Thanks for that info. I guess I'd better get some Excel.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanaqua
Thats Alternanthera reineckii, it turns white transparent when it doesnt get enough co2. I just put mine in a tank with no co2 and it melts and turn white in a very short period.
i dont think its reineckii. the leaves re too short and broad. looks like a ludwigia or maybe its galandulosa, which if it is then thats why it isnt doing to well. that stuff is hard to grow.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

all gone now

Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 10:32 PM

I don't think its glandulsa, glandulsa leaves doesnt get translucent, its just falls off when it is not to its liking. But it might be either another ludwigia sp or Alt Reineckii 'Lilacina' it too have broader leaves shape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode