I am new to planted aquariums and I need HELP!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Amanda Send a message via Yahoo to Amanda
Question I am new to planted aquariums and I need HELP!!!

Ok here is the problem... I have a 12 gallon eclipse tank...I want some danios and maybe a couple guppies...and a bottom feeder...there may be one other fish are there anyothers that are compatible with these that will be compatible with my fish and that would not be to big for this aquarium also other than java fern and java moss what other plants should I try? I hate asking questions but I felt I needed to.

Amanda

1 gallon tank with 1 male betta(felix)
2.5 gallon minibow tank with 1 male betta(oscar) and 1 cory cat (very small)(the attorney)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
We'are going to need some specs like lighting, co2? and ferts/ substrates... oh and by the way welcome to the planted tank! there are alot of fish compadable with thoes and as for cleaning mabey some aminos' or cherries
( im not sure danios might give the aminos some hassle you'll have to ask someone else about that since ive never kept danios and aminos) i reccomend the shrimp due to the fact this will be a neutral ph tank ( mollies and danios need water 7.0- 7.6 so it will be compadable. I would recoment mabey 3 shrimp and mabey 2 ottos that will clean up any algae well. and as for plants alot depends on the lights and co2 but, mabey some vallisnera sprialls or americana. And mabey some cryptocoryne ,Wendtii, or walkeri. welll good luck!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok i feel stupid right now but what is an otto?????? My eclipse has lighting and all that...I know about substrate I am going to go with eco-complete. I looked at fosters & smith and found a liquid fertilizer set. Some of the other things I am utterly clueless about lol....I AM DOING THE DEER IN THE HEADLIGHT LOOK LOL.

Amanda

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Take a few minutes and read my Guide.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Rex's advice is the best I could give you right now too. Read his guide!!

Hoppy
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thx, I am just flustered by the overwhelming things on the web...at least i have finally figured out my substrate and 2 types of fish lol.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
3 small corry cats would be good for the bottom. Or some small loaches... maybe 3 yoyo botias.

Ottocinculus (I think that is how it is spelled.) is a peaceful tiny fish that looks like a little bit like a CAE(chineese algae eater), but stays small and doesn't try to eat your fish. They are also really good algae cleaners, but don't really seem to go for hard algae. A brisle nosed pleco would be good for your tank for harder algae. They stay small and would okay for your size tank. You may just want to hold off on algae eater fish though untill you see what kind of algae you grow.

Once your tank is fully established and stable, might I recomend about 5 neons or cardinals. I may just be prejuduced, but I really think they give a great look to planted tanks. Neons stay a little smaller, so you may want to go with them, but I have heard a few people say that cardinals are a little more hardy. (Personally, I would go for these instead of the dianos.... but your choice.)

The Amano's and Cherries they were speaking of are shrimp... that clean algae and eat up left overs. You could go for these instead of corries or such. They are really cool, but pretty sensitive to water conditions, and I do think the dianos might peck at them. I have some with guppies and neons, and they live happily together.

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you so very much....Has anyone in here used arizon aquatic gardens to order anything. I am pondering whether to trust the site or not.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (32/100%)
Welcome, Amanda, and I can understand your confusion!! There is so much information on this forum that it is almost overwhelming at first. I do know that I have an Eclipse 12gal, and it is hard to have a planted tank with this one. It comes with a standard 13w pc bulb, which is not much light for plants. You are on the right track with your plant selection. You can also try anubias nana and crypts. Be aware that plant growth will be really slow with this lighting. Just check the lighting requirements for any plant you are interested in, and unless it says low light only, pass it up. In Rex's guide, he has a list of plants to use at first to cycle the tank, and you do need to use some of those to start with, then you can switch out for your low-light plants. There is a thread on this forum where someone retrofitted their Eclipse 12 with more lighting, then you can grow most plants. I forget where it is, but search for 'eclipse 12 retrofit' and I think that brings it up. As for fish, I don't know compatibility, but I think Drs. Foster & Smith has a compatibility chart that would be a general guide. I like neons, myself. Cardinals are really nice, too, and a little larger than the neons, so would show up a bit more. Endlers are becoming really popular on this forum, and are sold in the swap n shop--just do a search. If you got the Seachem ferts from Dr. F&S, just maintain a good fert schedule and weekly water changes (at least 25%). Good luck!! Oh, and don't ever feel stupid asking questions, we're all learning here!!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda
Thank you so very much....Has anyone in here used arizon aquatic gardens to order anything. I am pondering whether to trust the site or not.
I am thinking of using Arizona Aquatic Gardens to order some hard to get fish, plants, and snails. Their selection is really good.

However, read their Ordering Guidelines. Here is a quote from #2 of their guidelines, “2. Live Good Order Minimums-Plant or Live Good Orders must total no less than $35.00.” Also, remember there is shipping and handling as well.

Also, pay attention to the order minimum. I was going to pickup some Dwarf Emerald Green Eye Rasbora for .98 cents each. However, the minimum order is 10. Not that I cannot afford that, but I don’t have room for 10 of them.

Welcome to the Forum

Aquarium Profile
Tank size: 10 gallons

Lighting: Indirect sunlight

Equipment: Tetratec PF150 with internal heater

Substrate: 100% Flourite (2-inches)

Parameters: Temp 72-74F

Plants: Nanas (Anubias barteri)
Java Ferns (Microsorum pteropus)

Inhabitants: (1) Royal Black Emperor Tetra
(1) Blue Tetra
(2) Silvertip Tetra
(1) Head and Tail Light Tetra
(1) Black Neon Tetra
(2) Neon Jumbo Tetra
(4) Otocinclus Cats
(4) African Dwarf Frogs
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wink

Thanks everyone and I know I was concerned about the order minimums....We will strait out say we can not afford alot of their order minimums lol. We was considering their starter planted packs...it was a lower maintence one but, a bit on the pricey side lol.

Amanda
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
AZ Gardens has mixed reviews from what I've read. I have never purchased from them--and it may very well remain that way. After reading through their policies, etc, etc, etc and various Customer "Experiences" aka Reviews--it seems that they do things their way--period.

My single experience with them was sending them an email requesting to know if something was in stock---that was a year ago---I still haven't received a response. It was a simple, straight-forward Yes or No answer. That just fits with the negatives that I have read. They prefer phone calls. Cool. I prefer to take my money somewhere else....
----------------
Edit: Gee, they must have figured out how email works. Now their site says: "EMAIL IS OUR PREFERRED METHOD OF CONTACT-This way you can email us your questions and we can email you back."
----------------
The overwhelming theme that I got from reading their policies is: We are a Mom and Pop business..... Sorry, Not going for it. Its not an excuse.

If You are looking for plants: Check out the Swap and Shop here at PT. Many times people give stuff away for shipping costs.....Good stuff too!

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I bought a couple of tools from Arizona Aquatic Gardens - good stuff and good price. I added a couple of plants to the order to meet their minimum order price. The plants were to be overnight delivered, but they arrived three weeks later, one of them just a green smudge. To their credit they didn't charge me for the plants or the shipping after I phoned to complain. I like their merchandise, but hate the high shipping cost and minimum order numbers. The shop n swap here is the best place I have found to buy plants.

Hoppy
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 04:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

There was a big thread over at Aquatic Plant Central where a lot of people chimed in with negative experiences with Arizona Aquatic Gardens. After the thread grew to two pages, the admins promptly deleted it.

The main issues:

1) Shipping is extremely expensive ($40 - $50) and is billed separately. You will not know what the charges are until you see them on your credit card statement.

2) Lots of "dead on arrival" items for fish and invertebrates. As for plants, I ordered their Kleiner Bär Sword, and it turned out to be a regular rubin, which usually sells for less than half the price of a Kleiner Bär.

3) Poor customer service. Several people feel that one of their main customer service reps has an abrasive personality. One person complained that Arizona Aquatic Gardens offered to replace his "dead on arrival" items. He later found that while they didn't charge him for the replacement items, they did charge him again for the $40 - $50 shipping charge. He called his credit card company and had the charge removed. Arizona Aquatic Gardens then called him complaining about the "chargeback." The thread was deleted before the poster had a chance to post the outcome.

I can personally confirm the problems with "dead on arrival" items, the poor customer service, and the abrasive personality. I never asked for "free replacements," so I cannot confirm the additional shipping charges for said "free replacements." But personally, I do believe it.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)
Hey Guys,
From this point on please leave the discussion of any companies, their reputation, and your experience with them to private discussion.

Why you ask? It's simply a policy we've had on the board here for quite some time.

Thank you!
Kyle

Please Send all Support Requests to

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode