Lowering the KH, how often w/Bicarbonate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Lowering the KH, how often w/Bicarbonate?

I ended up adding 1 tsp of baking soda to my tank the other night which brought my KH up from 50 to 80, my PH from 6.5 to 70, so now according to chuck's calculator, with KH at 4.46 degrees, I am getting perfect CO2 at 13.38 ppm, if I read it correctly.

The needle valve on my new Milwaukee seems to be holding the bubble rate where it left off at the night before, so all seems well, do I dare to assume...

Now, to keep the KH where it is, would I continue to add 1 tsp of baking soda with every 50% water change or would I only add 1/2 tsp? Prior to regulated CO2, I was doing 2 50% water changes a week, I don't want to do that anymore, once is more than enough!

What causes the green algea on the glass, the kind that wipes right off, not the spot algea. I seem to find a little of this on my glass every night when I get home from work, but not as much as when I add KNO3, I stopped adding that to my tank, a day after I'd dose it, my glass would be all green.

Thank you!

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You only need to add baking soda to the amount of water changed.

Also your CO2 should be in the 30 ppm range.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaC
I ended up adding 1 tsp of baking soda to my tank the other night which brought my KH up from 50 to 80, my PH from 6.5 to 70, so now according to chuck's calculator, with KH at 4.46 degrees, I am getting perfect CO2 at 13.38 ppm, if I read it correctly.

The needle valve on my new Milwaukee seems to be holding the bubble rate where it left off at the night before, so all seems well, do I dare to assume...

Now, to keep the KH where it is, would I continue to add 1 tsp of baking soda with every 50% water change or would I only add 1/2 tsp? Prior to regulated CO2, I was doing 2 50% water changes a week, I don't want to do that anymore, once is more than enough!

What causes the green algea on the glass, the kind that wipes right off, not the spot algea. I seem to find a little of this on my glass every night when I get home from work, but not as much as when I add KNO3, I stopped adding that to my tank, a day after I'd dose it, my glass would be all green.

Linda
Like rex said, it seems that adding once after a water change is all one will need. Something inside the tank which plays with kH is another thing though (like some corals) but generally kH number will not budge at all after that long week.

If the kH and pH measurement are correct, I kinda agree that you need to up the level of CO2 you are injecting. Try increasing the bubble rate first. Btw, what kind of diffusor/reactor you are using? Might not be sufficient for the tank size....

About those extra algae when you add NO3 :
1. You add too much KNO3. Try giving in smaller amount every 2-3 days instead of bigger dose every 3-4 days.
2. Something is missing.... like P, K, trace and Fe. Try to balance it right.
3. Do not rely too much on the calculator, it is a very good guide but not a special dosing meter for your personal tank. Every tank is different as I find out myself the hard way.... tank size, bio load, plant load, water parameter from tap, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should I not pay attention to Chucks calculator then, how come it says that I am getting good CO2 levels? I am diffusing it into my tank via the Hagen Ladder, but I have been thinking about purchasing a glass disfussor, would that work better?

On dosing K, I was adding only a pinch of KNO3 to my tank 3 times a week and every day after I'd add KNO3, there would be a lot of green algae on my glass. Maybe I can mix it with water and then dose from there instead of adding it right to the tank. My nitrates are always in the 10 ppm range, and this is before I dose KNO3. I will keep trying to find a balance.

Many thanks for all your help!
Linda
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
Many people on this forum, including myself, keep their CO2 in the 30-40ppm range. It doesn't harm the fish any and it makes sure that CO2 isn't a limiting factor in plant growth. If you have 10ppm of nitrate then you don't need to dose more but you may put it up as high as 20ppm which again many people do. Use chucks calculator to figure out where you are with CO2 or how much to add to get to a target level but don't let it determine what you target level is.

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I can't imagine CO2 being a limiting factor with the current growth of my plants, but I will get it higher to be on the safe side. Just this past week, since I've set up my new system, my plants have grown at least an inch or two, although I have not seen pearling yet and that's something I would really like to see.

Do you think I should look into a different diffusor or is the Hagen Ladder good enough in a 29 gallon tank? It seems to be working okay, although I would like to see smaller bubbles.

Thanks!
Linda
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:55 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaC
...although I would like to see smaller bubbles.
Hmmm. I've no experience with one of the ladders, but could you put an airstone at the end of the tubing that feeds the ladder? That would make the bubbles smaller going into the ladder which should allow the ladder to work more effectively.

Just a thought...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Unfortunately, an airstone will not fit on the end of the tubing that goes into the ladder, there's also a fixture on the end of the tubing that hooks into the ladder so that the CO2 goes directly into the stairs of the ladder, so an airstone is not something that can be attached here.

I am looking into purchasing a glass/ceramic diffusor. The Hagen Ladder does a pretty good job IMO and if I keep the flow from my filter at a low output, the bubbles blow back into the tank.

Thank you!
Linda

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode