Tank Divider....suggestions needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
Tank Divider....suggestions needed

Hi,

I am planning on seperating my Dwarf Oange Crays into pairs due to an increase in their aggression. They are currently kept in a 5.5 gallon but I need some type of divider so I can keep a pair in each compartment. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to make some type of divider or where I would be able to buy one? In the last day or two, I've been trying to find a site that sells these things but the only ones that I found are to be used for a 10 gallon tank.

Any suggestions? Maybe you know of a place where I can buy one?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
Looks like you're a fellow college student, which means we both have limited income! I separated bettas by taking an old notebook (I'm sure you have one around) with a plastic cover and cutting it off. I cut it to fit the tank, punched some holes in it for water flow and put it in the tank. The bottomw half was buried in the substrate and the top was attached via a bunch of clips. Worked out for me, plus it didn't cost a thing!

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

If I could harness the power of the sun, I'd focus it on my plants and watch them grow.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Edit: Well, it looks like I didn't read Your post carefully enough....You're looking for something Smaller than the 10gal. divider.....Filipnoy's suggestion seems very workable....

There's no reason that You can't buy the 10gal. version and just cut it to fit--the screen is plastic and the slide rails are too....

I'll leave the post below here, because it may help someone else out....

Commercial Tank Dividers

The Divider below is one that I made that is SEMI-permanent.....It is not glued in place or anything and can be removed, but has a nice tight fit and extendeds down into the gravel to about 1/4" from the bottom of the tank.

I purchased one of the dividers in the link for a 55gal., then took 2 pieces of acrylic and cut them to fit very snug, then cut out the matching interior opening, clamped and glued it together with acrylic solvent and it works just great. The reason that I bought the divider and used the plastic screen is because I knew that I only wanted to do this once....I have no idea how long window screen, etc would hold up.

In the 4th pic down you can see the top of one piece of acrylic--the top of the other piece extends up further and fits nicely into the "Groove" of the plastic Tank support brace.....

This tank was originally setup for some juvenile Filesnakes (Acrochordus arafurae or javanicus), which I haven't managed to get my hands on--YET!. So, now it has flourite in it and I am just using it as a "Grow-out" tank.

This thread has now become a 56K warning.....

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
Nice pictures and a good write up. The notebook idea is great too since I have plenty of those 5-Star brand notebooks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think the answer to many issues is egg crate style light diffusers. I don't know how big your critters are though. If you get it at a big box store I bet you could even cut it there (if you don't have access to a saw).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
What I always do with my bettas and endlers -
Get a 5 pack of report covers (clear folder with a removable plastic spine).
Trim the spines to fit the tank, making a "picture frame" to hold plastic cross stitch canvas. Stick the frame in at a slight angle, position it, then turn it straight so the frame is wedged between front and back glass.

Crayfish will probably climb over most any divider you can fashion unless it fits snugly against the tank cover.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
What gbhil said, but that stuff is actually needlepoint "canvas," in case you end up having to ask for it if you can't find it. Cross-stitch canvas is, well, canvas!

BTW, that is a very neat installation Naja!

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
BTW, that is a very neat installation Naja!
Thanx, being as it is/was designed for snakes---it has to be secure.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode