Im a DADY!! My cacs have fry (56k warning PICS) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Im a DADY!! My cacs have fry (56k warning PICS)

Well I am officially a dady of about 30-40 Apisto double red cacs.. They appeard for the first time today. I have no clue if they were born a week ago and until recently have been free swimming. I have no idea what to feed them? How long to feed them? If they are even eating micro organisms? What do I do???

Pics of my new babies

another shot

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
They are finding something to eat, because they look to be about a week old. I'm sure they would love it if you hatched some brineshrimp for them. Probably not what you want to do . At that size, I would try to crush up some foods, fry formulas, or buy some "golden pearls" 100-200 or 200-300 micron from brineshrimpdirect.com

And...Congratulations!!! Could you give us a better shot of the parents?

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
HOW CUTE!

In a planted tank they will probably find stuff to eat. I woudl avoid most powdered or dry fry foods. they're pretty much interested in moving stuff. In a bare bottom breeding tank they will learn that dry stuff is food, but not so much in a planted tank where it falls out of sight into the gravel.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Notice how close Mama is guarding here babies. Congrats Ryzilla!

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I am so excited!!! I will have better pics of mommy and daddy when lights are on tomarrow

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 09:17 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Congrats Rhyzilla on the new babies.. What other inhabitants are in the tank? and obviously they have found something to eat because to be free swimming they must be a week or so old. Right? Anyway congrats again
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish man 101
Congrats Rhyzilla on the new babies.. What other inhabitants are in the tank? and obviously they have found something to eat because to be free swimming they must be a week or so old. Right? Anyway congrats again
Its a species tank.. The only other inhabitants is 6 ottos, 3 cherry shrimp, pond/ram snails

Peace,
Ry

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Congrats dad! Best of luck with them!

Just in case you want some other foods, you may also try http://www.kensfish.com/ for a good cheap source of bulk foods.

I've had good success with a blend of stuff from there.

I mix the following:
1 Tsp. Decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs,
1 Tsp. Golden pearls
1 Tsp. Kens Premium Growth Meal (#00 SIZE)

In a small shaker top bottle and feed a little bit of that blend 3-5 times a day.

The rest of the bags are stored in the fridge until I need another mix.

I also hatch some live Brine, but just don't have the time to keep up with the production.

Later on, I use Grindal Worms mixed in with that blend. For me, grindals are the easiest live food to grow and propagate.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 10:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
That is so cool, congratulations! I have a pair of apisto red tails, I would love to see the female parade a school of fry around my tank.

Good luck with them!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The dad wants to parent SO bad. The mom wont let him though. Im a little worried because I have seen the dad relocate some babies but then get chased away from where he relocated them. I like having this all go down in my planted tank and not in a breeding tank.. The whole natural thing really does it for me.

Peace,
Ry

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
My Orange Flash cacs hatched a brood last month. I fed them frozen baby brine shrimp. Overfeeding can lead to water quality issues, though.

Well, at least my algae is pearling...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 03:49 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
WOW, they are so cute

Tak

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode