Potassium permaganate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Potassium permaganate?

What do you all do when you get plants from someone, especially someone you don't know at all...do you treat them with PP before introducing them to your tank? If so, how much PP per gallon or so should one use?

Thanks!

Newt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:00 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
i just ck em for snails and throw em in so far so good the fish if kept in a healty environment usually stay healthy and are able to ward of disease if transmitted by the plants like fungas or ick but plants are not shipped or transported in water so thats not to much of a problem. Algae or Algae spores on the plants are controlled by water paramaters and the plants out compete them for nutrients so they never get a foothold.
Some may disagree but i never had a problem.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Same here, except I don't check them for snails. I have a bunch as it is, so what's a few more? Just a quick rinse under the faucet and in they go. Never had a problem with disease. Some will use a bleach dip to make sure there isn't any algae on the plants, but a healthy tank should be able to ward off any algae outbreaks.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
I have all kind of snails in my tanks that arrived as hitchhikers. If I get plants from a fellow hobbyist I do not dip. I liek the little guys and they don't do any harm.

Things like fungus and ich, those are generally present in your tank already- they are secondary opportunistic infections. The same way a person who's immune system in compromised with other primary disease or age will die of pneumonia when you or I would simply fight off the bacteria without getting sick or sniffle for a couple days.

If I buy from a pet store or importer I am religious about dips ( I use formalin because I happen to have some handy or hydrogen peroxide) and a strict 6 week quarantine. There is just too much stuff that can come from far away places that my fish have no immunity to.

Now-a-days I only get fish from domestic breeders directly and plants from other hobbyists . It has had a major impact. I haven't had an unexplained outbreak of anything since I started that, and I usually get healthier fish, with a more knowledgeable seller more willing to answer questions and spend the tiem with a newbie
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 03:43 AM
jhj

PTrader: (1/100%)
PP receipe

I take a small bucket fill it with the amount of water needed and then add about half a teaspoon. Remember, your goal is to turn the water dark pink/purple. Leave the plants in the solution for about 10 minutes. Rinse them gently and transfer the in another bucket with water after five minutes drain the water from the bucket and refill it, add some dechlorinator, wait 10 minutes and you are done.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone! Good thoughts.

Yep, jhj, a good swim in some PP never hurt anything, I guess, and better safe than sorry.

Newt
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
ok, so where do you get potassium permagenate? I check the local grocies and couldn't find it. What is it generally used for? Canning?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 05:53 AM
Algae Grower

Alum is used for canning and can be found in the grocery or drug store. It too can be used as a plant dip, at I believe one tablespoon per gallon for 1/2 hour. I don't think you will find PP in a grocery store.

Join a fish club.Don't have one near by? Start one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode