2004 AGA Contest - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (16/100%)
2004 AGA Contest

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...tegory=0&vol=2

I love the comments Amano made in these entries! especially in the 3rd entry... I think he an Rex have alot in common!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 01:44 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)

"Nice mound setup, I can see the hill inspiration clearly. Everything looks healthy, if a bit overgrown. The Hygrophila on the left side is too large and disturbs the rounded feel of the Pennywort. Trimming it a bit will help preserve the framing feel while giving higher priority to the mound shape. " ---Phil Edwards

"Pleasant tank that looks like it is easy to live with. Don't show close-ups of algae covered leaves!" ---Karen Randall

"The foreground looks ugly." ---Takashi Amano
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 01:58 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
I too read the comments...I was cracking up. If nothing else, he doesn't beat around the bush lol

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
I always thought the same thing. Thought he was some misserable dude......

Then i saw him at the 04 convention and you can tell he is pretty funny and has a sense of humor. I think the translation may come off a little harsh. Also, he is to the point with his opinion. He is entitled, he is the best in the world..... Just his smiles and jestures showed me that my assumptions were wrong.

jB
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I also found his curt style humorous . He dishes it out evenly, so you don't have to feel bad. I would be honored to have him tear apart my aquascape .

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:43 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Baliban
He is entitled, he is the best in the world.....
jB
That's a rather broad statement and I humbly disagree.

Yeah, the translation takes a lot out of the context. I think it's a shame that we can't read what he really means.

If I ever attend a convention where he's doing a demonstration though, I totally volunteer to wash his rocks. I saw a video or something where someone volunteered to do it, and it took him two days to get clear water.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 11:38 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
If the AGA contest was American Idol, Amano would definitely be Simon

Cool link!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbobarah
That's a rather broad statement and I humbly disagree.
Some do some dont.....if we were all the same, this world would be very boring.

I personally think nobody really comes close to his approach of a natural scape.

jB
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
nobody really comes close to his approach of a natural scape
Ill second that. I've got all three of his nature aquarium world books, and i think they are stunning!

Quote:
"The foreground looks ugly." ---Takashi Amano
I think that a carpet of glosso at the front here would finish this off nicely.
Amano is right on the mark, but I do think he could be a little more constructive, maybe suggest a reason for the foreground looking ugly...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (16/100%)
1rst place tank with 1 wpg worth of lighting!!! Hows that for inspiration??

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...0&vol=2&id=112
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That gentleman belongs to my local club. I've heard him talk about his tank, and seen his results - it's the real deal. Two yeast bottles and 1wpg, and he grows C. balansae faster than I've ever seen in any tank. He even has had a glosso carpet in the foreground at one point in time. Seeing his results led me to lower the photo-intensity of my 46g, and it has been doing much better ever since.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Ted, what are you running on your 46G, regards light and photoperiod?

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I used to run it 12 hours at 192w. Now I run it at 96w, with the exception of having a 3-4 hour period (mid-day) of 192w. The way I see it (and this is NOT science here ), I've reduced total light intensity by over 40%.

Here's the "math"

Old way:
192w x 12 hours = 2304

New way:
(96w x 6 hours)+(192w x 4 hours) = 1344

My theory (based on natural observation - not science) is that even "high light" plants only need high intensity for a brief period to do well. Furthermore, these plants don't benefit from a long period of high intensity light.....BUT, "low light" plants can and do suffer from too much light.

My local plant club did an experiment re: photoperiod. We set up equal aquaria with equal fauna (common plants - hygro, hairgrass, ludwigia, etc) and set them on different photoperiods - 6 hours, 16 hours, and 24 hours. Lighting was done using flourescent coil bulbs at an intensity of about "4wpg".

Results:
6 hours - plants flouished, grew, and soak up nutrients - very little algae
16 hours - plants suffered, green water and thread algae flouished - modest nutrient uptake
24 hours - plants died, green water struggled - increase nutrient load (dying material).

In my very humble opinion, a LOT of algae problems stem from too much light. Too intense for too long. Light should ALWAYS be the limiting factor.

whew....where did all that come from?

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 06:52 AM

Well he sure is a pessimist lol. Something is telling me he's annoying because he cant balance his comments with compliments as there was some amazing tanks up there. However, something is making me laugh because he's so crude and in some places brutally honest which might have been needed in that set of judges.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 10:18 AM

Considering Amanos origin, his comments are not cruel - Translations (Or written comments) just lacks body language - Japanese is possibly 90% body language, and therefore the comments should be taken very lightly...

Just like Jason said...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode