greg watson - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (95/100%)
Question greg watson

Can someone help me figure out what I need to order.
I have a 20 gal tank 3wpg
fairly med to heavy planted with:
Glosso, ludwigia, red lotus
star grass, amazon sword small
crypts, rotala roundifolia, difformis
limnophilia aquatica

7 guppies, 3 ottos, 1 cory, 8 glass shrimp, 2 platys
water param:
Nitrate 30
Nitrite .5
gh 150ppm
kh 300ppm
ph 7.4 ( 30% water change due tomorrow)
I have an ammonia alert auto tester so I don't test ammonia.

Test kit has not yet arrived on iron, phosphates
Using flourish 1 mil. 2x a week & florish excel 3mil.every other day (temporary) deciding between diy or hagen co2 soon

Cynthia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Just Potassium Sulfate and CSM + B for starters. I let fish food take care of my phosphates and KNO3 (nitrates). Less chance of algae as underdosing is safer than over dosing IMO.

The CSM+B is your micro/trace element. For the traces, maybe 6-8 mls from a stock solution you make from the dry CSM+B powder...That is made by adding one tablespoon into 250ml of water (usually distilled water for a stock solution that you dose from.) 3x/week would be OK- every other day. Maybe more or less depending on your tank and fish feeding habits/plant load.

For the potassium, I "dry" dose 1.5 teaspoons for 50 gallons of water at weekly waterchange. You might want to checkout Rex Grigg's website too.. http://rexgrigg.com/dosing.htm

Since you have fairly light fish load, which is good for a planted tank, you might need to order the nitrates and possible the mono potassium phosphate. Or you could get that later if you think you need it.

Lastly, order or pick up some Seachem Iron and maybe 1 ml. per week or so, if the plants look yellow give them some more. Or you can use Greg's iron, but I believe the Seachem will work a little better and of course costs a bit more.

You must have a new tank since you still have a minimal nitrite reading. BTW, that L.aquatica grows faster than any other plant I have ever kept. Very nice algae buster!!

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 04:12 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Wow..Where to begin...There is no algae in the tank right?

Your Nitrates are a lil high I think. A 50% WC would help out considerably. Sounds like your plants are not really growing well an not using it up.

Diy co2 would be ok with a 20G, but with 3wpg, ya better do it quick!! 3 wpg with no co2 is an algae magnet.

Until ya get the co2 goin, I wouldn't really dose any ferts.

These are the basic orders though...You can get your own epsom salt.

Macros:
KN03
K2S04
KH2P04

Micros:
Order CSM+B an mix yer own.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastalker
Wow..Where to begin...There is no algae in the tank right?

Your Nitrates are a lil high I think. A 50% WC would help out considerably. Sounds like your plants are not really growing well an not using it up.

Diy co2 would be ok with a 20G, but with 3wpg, ya better do it quick!! 3 wpg with no co2 is an algae magnet.

Until ya get the co2 goin, I wouldn't really dose any ferts.
no Algae
plants have been only in tank 1-2 weeks

Cynthia
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 11:55 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
I'd stress the importance of getting co2 started soon. Once you do, i'd expect your nitrates to really drop and plant growth to skyrocket. So, i'd also suggest getting:
KNO3
K2SO4
KH2PO4
CSM+B+FE (just added iron)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 01:41 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Greg's really good about responding to inquiries, so I'd suggest you start a conversation with him.
Second thought - you pay just about as much for postage as you do for the ferts, so if you think you are going to need/want something later, you might want to include it in your initial order.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
I'd stress the importance of getting co2 started soon. Once you do, i'd expect your nitrates to really drop and plant growth to skyrocket. So, i'd also suggest getting:
KNO3
K2SO4
KH2PO4
CSM+B+FE (just added iron)
Ok I started a hagen ladder today. So if I read you right I should get the above. The CSM+B=FE has the iron in it?

Cindy

Cynthia
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 06:28 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Good job on the co2! YOu will not be dissapointed.

When I ordered ferts, there was such a thing as CSM+B+Fe, which had a higher Iron content. Apparently now he just offers CSM+B, without extra iron. I'd probably go ahead and get the chelated iron from him, then (if you can spare another $9).
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks
Now that the co2 is added does this mean that my ph is going to drop? And when should I add some iron? Iv'e hear that the plants really suck up the iron after the co2 is started.

Cynthia
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
you pay just about as much for postage as you do for the ferts, so if you think you are going to need/want something later, you might want to include it in your initial order.
I agree completely and that's what I did today: Ordered one of Darn near everything and 2 of Iron. Cost me ~$55 after shipping, but most of the items are so cheap--I'd rather end up throwing them in the garbage because I don't need them--than paying postage because I didn't order it the first time....

And actually, You'll pay more for individual postage than You actually pay for most of the stuff.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode