Glass Catfish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (59/100%)
Glass Catfish

I went to my LFS today to pick up some driftwood for the beast I am preparing to create, and I saw these glass cats in person. They are pretty cool. Does anyone have any experience in a community planted tank with these guys? I know they like to be in groups, not just one or two of them. I think I plan on some Kuhli loaches or corys and rainbows...preacox, boesemans tuquois and reds as well as a school of rummynose. All in all I think a peaceful coexistance.
I also know they don't hang out at the bottom like other cats. Any experience or thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 12:23 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've kept them before in a community tank, but the only time I ever saw them was when I put food in. I'm thinking they need a somewhat dimmer environment as they like to school in the dark spots under overhanging leaves.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
You can check out my 46 gal bow log in the photo booth forum to see my glass cats. I have 4, and they never hide and are very active and easy to take care of...

My high-tech 125 gallon journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 03:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)
I once kept 4 glass catfish but had to give them away. They couldn't compete as well as my other fish for food, my tetras and rasboras always beat them to the food. They were very good during there stay never bothering anyone. They seem to like a bit of currant to swim against and always schooled in plain view. They really liked eating live and frozen foods.

Tank: 20 gallons, 62 watts t5, DIY CO2

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ghost Cats

I recently bought 4 ghost cats about two weeks ago. They school in a stand still motion (swimming but going no where) under my big amazon sword. They seem shy and doesn't run and fight for food like my rasboras or rummys. At first my one angel fish seemed to chase them once in a while, but since then, left them alone.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys maybe I will try 4 of them and give them frozen food...I think they are peachful and very cool to look at, I just want them to be happy so I thought I'd ask
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_newby
I went to my LFS today to pick up some driftwood for the beast I am preparing to create, and I saw these glass cats in person. They are pretty cool. Does anyone have any experience in a community planted tank with these guys? I know they like to be in groups, not just one or two of them. I think I plan on some Kuhli loaches or corys and rainbows...preacox, boesemans tuquois and reds as well as a school of rummynose. All in all I think a peaceful coexistance.
I also know they don't hang out at the bottom like other cats. Any experience or thoughts?

You'll love the Bosemanis and Turqs. Consider getting a female of each if possible.It will make the show alot more interesting. And IMO, at least three of each species. I think its better to have just a couple of species and keep enough. My Bosemanis will hang with my Turqs, but tend to prefer each other as is predictable. Rainbowfish have so much personality and are always on the go if not over fed, (like mine?). I love watching them reverse dive for flakes. They are a terrific community tank fish.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

That's the plan, Bob I love the colors too. I think they compliment the community just fine. This is my list so far. Tell me what you think.

90 gal acrylic

5 bosemani 2 males 3 females
6 turquoise 3 males 3 females
4 praecox 2 males 2 females
5 or 6 kuhlies or yoyo's
8 cories ..not sure which species yet and I have to make sure they don't scratch up the acrylid like plecos do
8-10 rummynose tetras
4 glass cats
and when your tank has been established for a couple of months 5+ ottos
some cherry shrinp
bumble bee shriimp
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Thats a nice list. Its probably OK. You might want to not start that high. Maybe start with just 4 bosemani and turqs with 2 of each sex (Eight total). As you know the boys have the color, but the girls will keep them hopping! I only have six total in my tank with 5 boys and one gal who is everybody's fav... They really like to cruise so give them plenty of open area, which won't be a prob with a young 90G. I'm pretty sure the corys won't scratch the acrylic. The Corys would be happiest if you limit to two species, one would be better. The Rainbows are pig eaters so you might want to feed some after lights out so the Cory's and loaches get some bloodworm/brine shrimp too. Its good that you have a large cleanup crew. Overall, it looks like a good list. A fun cheap tetra that is under appreciated are the black neons. I love that fish. They love the current and aren't scaredy cats like many Tetras. Maybe just 5 or 6 corys to start. Its hard to cut back on fish, but it sure makes keeping an algae free tank easier. Thats why you see so many competition tanks with a very small fauna population. And you know not to introduce very many at first, right. Gradually is important...Anyhow, thats my .02s. Sounds like you're going to be having a lot of fun real soon!

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Forgot to mention, I know absolutely nothing about glass cats except what I read above. I'll have to check them out... cheers. bob

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode