New 20 gal long... substrate/lighting questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
naX
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
New 20 gal long... substrate/lighting questions

Hi all!

I just picked up a new 20 gallon long and a bag of flourite. I have a few questions before I continue, though. Please keep in mind that I have a limited budget.

1) With the bag of flourite I have, I managed a substrate bed of 1". Is this fine or do I need more? If I need more, can I put pool filter sand or pea gravel on top of it and still be alright?

2) I've been looking for some lights. I want to grow medium light plants or very low end high light plants. I REALLY like those ones that stand up over the aquariums, but I can't seem to find them. I'm not using a hood on this tank, unless the lighting I buy is either really cheap or comes complete. So, please recommend the wattage I would need (I'd guess 50+) and, if possible, a manufacturer. I'm open to any suggestions on this topic.

Once I get all my Q's answered, I'll be making a journal thread for any further inquiries. Thanks in advance!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 11:14 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naX
Hi all!

I just picked up a new 20 gallon long and a bag of flourite. I have a few questions before I continue, though. Please keep in mind that I have a limited budget.

1) With the bag of flourite I have, I managed a substrate bed of 1". Is this fine or do I need more? If I need more, can I put pool filter sand or pea gravel on top of it and still be alright?
1" of substrate is not enough. 2-3" is recomended. I have been using the Shultz Aquatic Soil from lowes for $4.99 for a 10lb bag. The only problem is, that it is rather light weight and tends to make planting harder. you could use it under your flourite. Also, it is sorta a clay/orange color which some poeple do not like. Its cheap and works on a budget!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naX
2) I've been looking for some lights. I want to grow medium light plants or very low end high light plants. I REALLY like those ones that stand up over the aquariums, but I can't seem to find them. I'm not using a hood on this tank, unless the lighting I buy is either really cheap or comes complete. So, please recommend the wattage I would need (I'd guess 50+) and, if possible, a manufacturer. I'm open to any suggestions on this topic.

Once I get all my Q's answered, I'll be making a journal thread for any further inquiries. Thanks in advance!!!!
The coralife 65w light would do you fine for a 20gal, expecially a 20long. However they are not the cheapest buggers around, you can probably get one for $60. 65w is going to give you high light so you should also incorporate DIY co2 if your on a budget.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 12:31 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...d1=1843;pcid2=

this link will take you to big als where you can get the cheap coralife fixture. It will definately give you more oomph, and I will second the recommendation that you supplement with CO2.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
naX
Algae Grower

Thanks Sarah. I do have plans for CO2 (pressurized) and all that. In fact, that's where I kinda blew most of the budget. I went light on substrate and lighting. I went light on lighting because on my 29 gal, I have a 4X ODNO strip light that I COULD use if I have to. My 29 gal used to be planted, but now is just a nice goldie tank that doesn't really need the light.

Thanks for the link!!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
naX
Algae Grower

Alright. So I'm going to Lowes/Home Depot today for some garden stuff (for the wife). I'm thinking of looking at sand as well. Can someone quickly answer if I will be ok with adding a sand layer (~1") on top of my 1" layer of flourite?

Thanks!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 02:32 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Absolutely fine. They will mix eventually but there's absolutely nothing wrong with this.

If you CAN, find a sand with bigger grain sizes than playsand. Examples are
-pool filter sand, also known as silica sand
-blasting sand, as used in sandblasting (lol)
-you could also go Solace's route and add the shultz's aqautic soil on top of the fluorite. I just went looking this past weekend and it's right by all the other gardening soils.

good luck!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 02:36 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I saw someone on APC use a screen mesh to divide the sand and flourite. they cut holes in the mesh to place plants in.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 03:53 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
naX,
About the light. I changed to a 55 gal a few months ago from a 20gal long. I currently have the 30" JBJ light with the legs that I was using on the 20 for sale on ebay. PM me if you are interested. It is the DX model with two 65watt lamps on seperate switches.

JR

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode