A lot Fish Waste-good or bad - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
A lot Fish Waste-good or bad

I have an african cichlid tank with a few bristlenose pleco's and was wondering about the dynamic of fish poop in the water. These fish create tons of waste, and it is always visible on driftwood or under rocks. It does breakdown, but there is a lot.
Is waste a benefit to the plants? Does it act as fertilizer, or is just a liabilty that needs to be filtered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Fish poop is good fertilizer when it breaks down. But, it also generates ammonia as it breaks down, so too much can spike the ammonia and encourage algae spores to start growing. But, if you have a very heavily planted tank, with lots of fast growing plants, plenty of CO2, micros, and light, you can just consider it as part of the fertilizer regime.

Hoppy
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 09:03 PM

You have to find a good balance in between it being good for the plants and creating too much ammonia - basically what was said above.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

I know the waste would cause amonia, but not sure how much. I am running 330 and 170 hang on back filter so I know I am turning through the water.
So would the high waste be a contributing factor to my algae? I am doing mostly java fern and anubias, and crypts and have had a noticeable increase in green spot that I attributed to the increased lighting. I may have a slight break out of hair algae as well-I am not sure on that one yet, but am watching closely.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 02:49 AM

Remember, the waste doesn't actually leave your system til you change the filter media. It's still in there, breaking down on the sponges.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 04:34 AM
Algae Grower

I would imagine you don't have lots of plants, no CO2, hard and alkaline water since its an African Cichlid tank. So I wouldn't count on plants to do the job, just make sure you've got lots of matured filtration to handle the ammonia generated by the waste, and do enough water changes to keep NO3 at a reasonable level, I would aim for less 30 ppm.

Eheim pimp club #48
Specs:
800L 100% Flourite
80L plant/shrimps nursery tank inconnected with the main tank
Total 600W HQI, 2 X 5200K 2 X 6500K
Eheim 2028 X 2 2080 X 1
Dupla Substrate Heater
Dupla S external reactor
Aquamedic 2hp & Teco R15 400W chillers
Sega pH Controller

Light period: 6 hours on each bulb across 12 hours
Water Parameters: pH 6.4, KH 2, GH 1, NO3 40, PO4 1 TDS 250
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 07:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
The ammonia would be the first nutrient taken up by the plants. So if, If, you have enough plants you'll be fine there. The question is the amount of Nitrates and possibly phosphates. The idea of a cycle free tank is one chock full of plants taking up all the ammonia. But like macbrush said, you prolly don't have a tank full of plants going gangbusters considering you must have a high pH (no CO2) with african cichlids.

That said, I would keep your vac on the ready unless you have a tank full of Vals and such.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
If the fish waste is building up, then it's too much. Buildup would obviously mean that the supply is exceeding the demand.

Personally, I prefer to let my fertilizer routine determine the nutrient levels in my tank. The fish waste may be beneficial to a certain degree but if you're dosing your ferts like you should then the fish waste just becomes excess nutrient levels.

It's a wild card, a variable, and it deals with ammonia. I don't like ammonia wild cards.

But perhaps I'm overly cautious.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)
IMHO if the fish poop is accumulating... I would scoop it out with your next water change from on top of the subsrate surface and the driftwood etc...

*just the top

Ehiem Pimp # 88
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I just randomly sucked out a bunch when I was doing a water change. It can really hide in between the plants. Also, I like to run the hose over the driftwood and moss to suck up debris. Detritus loves to settle in moss.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbrush
I would imagine you don't have lots of plants, no CO2, hard and alkaline water since its an African Cichlid tank. So I wouldn't count on plants to do the job, just make sure you've got lots of matured filtration to handle the ammonia generated by the waste, and do enough water changes to keep NO3 at a reasonable level, I would aim for less 30 ppm.

30 ppm? I'd say 10. Even less for a sparingly planted tank.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode