Question: Fresh water clams, florite, and algae control - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Question: Fresh water clams, florite, and algae control

My Tank
Hello everyone, I am seeking advise about planted tanks and freshwater clams. I have a 10 gallon planted tank that contains one Emperor Tetra and three other Tetras (can’t remember the names). I have only two plants in the aquarium, Petita Nana (Anubias barteri 'Petite') and Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus). The Petita Nana is attached to the TetraTech Power Filter intake and the Java Fern is attach to drift wood. I use Florite for the substrate which has been with the tank since I started it 5 years ago. The temperature is 78. Although I do not frequently test the water, (all though I should) I do perform partial water changes every week.

Question #1 – Florite and freshwater clams
I heard someone state that Florite can be harmful to fresh waterclams, especially since the entire substrate is Florite. I had freshwater clams in the tank before but they do not last longer than 6-months (the same for Bamboo shrimp). Should I cut back on the Florite and mix it with something else?

Question #2 – lighting and controlling algae
Also, every time I use lighting, whether being the regular Fluorescent Fixtures or the Coralife Nutri Grow Plant I get an infestation of green algae. Cleaning the algae on the glass I have no problems with. However, the algae grows on the leave of the Petita Nana (Anubias barteri 'Petite') and it is very difficult to remove. Right now, I solely rely on indirect sunlight. I have notice that I get less algae using the indirect sunlight as lighting than the light fixture. Any advice in keeping the algae in check especially on the plants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Freshwater clams and Bamboo shrimp are both filter feeders. In a normal aquarium you are going to have to supply fine food for them or they will starve to death. I doubt the Flourite had anything to do with the death of the clams. In fact once you add in the death of the Bamboo Shrimp I know it didn't.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 01:01 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey jinx!

I have absolutely no experience about any mussels in aquaria..

But for your algae problem... Firstly you should knwo that the sunlight more likely causes the algae outbreaks... (sunlight PLUS light fixture... get it)

Also to battle the algae in such a small setup you should get urself more plants to "suck up" the rapid build up of nutrients. Maybe some more low light - slow growers (anubias, java fern, - moss, crypts) or maybe some hardy "fast growers" like lave fern or water sprite.

Also, one question... why are you using Flourite in tank without any substrate rooting plants?? lol

Cheers. Wolfgang.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=wolfy80]
Also, one question... why are you using Flourite in tank without any substrate rooting plants?? lol
QUOTE]

In all honesty it was a rookie oversight. When I started this tank I did not know much about planted tanks, just fish only tanks. A guy at the pet store recommended Flourite and nothing else.

What substrate do you recommended? How should I implement the substrate?

Thanks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=Rex Grigg]Freshwater clams and Bamboo shrimp are both filter feeders. In a normal aquarium you are going to have to supply fine food for them or they will starve to death.QUOTE]

What kind of food do you recommend or use yourself?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I don't keep those critters. You would need to feed something like baby brine shrimp.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 11:40 PM

PTrader: (27/100%)
I have thousands of clams and they do better on a bare glass bottom, because in their natural environment they thrive in sand which is easy for them to find food and manuever much better than digging through flourite which have jags edges. The clams will have a hard time moving in flourite which cause them to starve to death when they are deep in the substrate. Keep them in finer substrate and they should be good. I don't feed them anything, they get their food from detrius in the water. For the algae problem with the Anubias, I use to get alot green spotted algae on my anubias, but since I begin to dose my tank with phosphate( fleet enema, found at local pharmacies ) slowly the algae decline leaving clean shiny anubias.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanaqua
For the algae problem with the Anubias, I use to get alot green spotted algae on my anubias, but since I begin to dose my tank with phosphate( fleet enema, found at local pharmacies ) slowly the algae decline leaving clean shiny anubias.
How much are you dosing and how often? I have a 10-gallon tank, what would you recommend?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 05:57 AM

PTrader: (27/100%)
Acording to the Fertilator...1/10 of 1 milliliter. Dose maybe every other day? 1 bottle should last you a few years for a 10 gallon.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 05:35 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
rex is correct they are filter feeders and they normally wont survive long without food . You have to feed them , you can try fry food or baby brine you can also take lettuce and put it in a bowl and stick it in a sunny window and make greenwater clams love it . I have clams in my shrimp tank they do ok but the bamboo shrimps dont do well for me. I try to stay away from filter feeders.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 06:15 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
in the saltwater side, there are some great live phyto cultures to feed clams that would probably be appropriate for fresh water inverts as well.

Tahitian Blend and DT's Phyot plankton come to mind.

Also, it is easy to find DIY kits for growing green water and phyto plankton cultures on the web.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 07:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
I keep the Asian Golden Clams that I got from Oceanaqua months ago, some white clams that I got out of a lake in Central Florida, Bamboo, Cherry and Ghost shrimps.

I add a little:

ZooPlankton

PhytoPlankton

and

Micro-Vert

I just add some of 1 of the above: 1x-2x/week. I add the Micro-vert for the clams just periodically--probably once/wk averaged out. I don't have a schedule. They don't need much, and they are in there to help filter the aquarium--not help pollute it via overfeeding......

The micro-vert--I only add about 10 drops to a 55, 29, and 40 gal aquariums....the label requests more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode