Common sense - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Common sense

If you are going to send a PM to someone and expect an answer make sure you have room in your in-box. One way to really not have to worry about this problem is to become a supporting member.

It's only $5. And you get 10X the storage space.

Same thing goes if you want to buy/sell something. Make sure you have space in your in-box for the PMs that you will get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 01:57 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
I Agree and work hard to eliminate unneeded PMs.

Side Topic:

Quote:
Validity periods marked * indicate that purchasing this subscription is recurring,
Is there any "setting" or way to eliminate the Automatic "Renewal"...?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 05:02 PM

Naja, I never noticed that part when I signed up. I don't really like that it's self-renewing, either. I'd rather have a say. Then again, if in 10 years you notice that Plantedtank.net pulled $5 a year from your paypal, I'm sure you'd be able to AT LEAST cancel the account (if not get some money back)

I guess I just figure planted tanks will be in my life forever .. . . . probably not entirely true *shrugs*
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I thought it was $10 bucks. Did the price go down?

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
For the most part I don't "do" PMs. But I had been meaning to become a subscriber, the site has helped me so much.

Thank you for reminding me .

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 11:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
While private messaging can be handy at times, I personally believe it's a misuse to use it to ask someone for help or questions related to the board's subject (in this case planted aquariums). The forums are here so when someone has a problem or issue, everyone can benefit from the information posted.

PM's really only should be used to avoid e-mail spam (IMO) for purchases or other times when private information needs to be sent to someone specific.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 01:18 AM

PTrader: (59/100%)
I got so much info already and I haven't started my tank yet!
So I joined...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus
While private messaging can be handy at times, I personally believe it's a misuse to use it to ask someone for help or questions related to the board's subject (in this case planted aquariums). The forums are here so when someone has a problem or issue, everyone can benefit from the information posted.

PM's really only should be used to avoid e-mail spam (IMO) for purchases or other times when private information needs to be sent to someone specific.
I agree, have the nerve to post publicly.

regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 09:36 PM

Heck, just donate anyway. I just feel its right to support services you use. I get so much help and information from this site that the small donation has paid for itself many times over.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
I personally believe it's a misuse to use it to ask someone for help or questions related to the board's subject (in this case planted aquariums). The forums are here so when someone has a problem or issue, everyone can benefit from the information posted.
Tom may agree, but I don't.

Sometimes someone may have a question they may feel a bit embarrassed to ask out on the public forum and would prefer to ask in private. I would much rather see someone get the right answer or information that they want via PM than to not ask and not know.

Anyone can feel free to ask me anything via PM anytime! I have never minded and never will.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 11:53 PM

Interesting discussion this turned into! Probably a little far off Rex's intended subject but. . . .

Tom you have a point. I mean, why ask one person via PM when you can ask hundreds via a new thread.

But Mike has a point. If someone feels embarrassed to ask a question to the forum, what does that mean? Possibly they fear that the question has been asked a million times before. Which brings us to the search key! Or maybe they value YOUR advice, and YOUR advice only . . . . how romantic!

But, I'd rather receive all the redundant questions to my inbox than see the boards cluttered with repeat threads . . . . 'cause I can delete my inbox messages

I am just bugged if someone sends a PM instead of thinking for themselves . . . . but not as bugged when I see a new thread started for the same reason.

That said I would side with Mike here and give my noobish advice to anyone through PM!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 06:21 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
Naja, I never noticed that part when I signed up. I don't really like that it's self-renewing, either. I'd rather have a say. Then again, if in 10 years you notice that Plantedtank.net pulled $5 a year from your paypal, I'm sure you'd be able to AT LEAST cancel the account (if not get some money back)

I guess I just figure planted tanks will be in my life forever .. . . . probably not entirely true *shrugs*

you can turn off the self renew in your paypal instructions were given with the email reciept when you signup
Dave
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 06:42 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
I have to side with Mike on this one.. There is alot of impertinent info sent via pm. I do it all the time. Whether it be tradin, sellin, or just BS'n. There are alot of folk here in my neck of the woods, and instead of fillin up threads with unrelated issues, ya just send a quick PM.

I dont think $10 or $20 a year is gonna break anyone here in this forum!! The perks are great. What is it, 500 PM's for $10. Personally I think everyone here should cough up the $10 an not have to have this discussion!! Its not just the PM's, but the overall value of this forum!

Now I gotta send Tom a PM...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 05:01 PM

I've had my (first) planted tank not even a year yet and I didn't know much about underwater gardening when I started it...this forum has single-handedly improved my plant-keeping skills. I still have soooo much to learn from here (still consider myself a newb) and I think I owe a debt of gratitude to the mods and the members, so naturally I became a patron.

Cheers.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode