Almost there. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Almost there.

Hey I have almost got my 10 gal aquarium to the point of getting started.

Here is my setup and here is where I am at

1.10 gal aquarium freshwater
2.Bio-wheel filter all put together and waiting
3.A heater for the tank. Brand Name: Aquarium Pharm
4.I got a 18" Floral Glo light for it which fits into the hood
5.I just recently bought a bag of flourite for the tank
6.Got a thermometer and i am going to get a test kit for Ph,Amonia,Nitrite and Nitrates
7. Already got some flake foods and have some brine shrimp Spirulina that i bought a long time ago.

Some chemicals i have is Stress Coat, Leaf Zone, Aquarium Salt, Stress Zymes, Cycle,

My plan for the tank is to get it started and add some plants not sure yet on which ones I want but maybe you guys could help. Then i want to put one male platy in the aquarium to get my cycle going then add two females later in the cycle and hopefully get them to breed and you know how the story goes from there.

If anyone here sees anything that i need to get and I am forgetting plz tell me i would like to know also any suggestion to help me get started easier would help. Also if you know any chemicals that i need to get plz tell me it would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 12:30 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
what's the wattage on that bulb? i'd say you'll need at least 36W to grow most plants in a 10G.... also, make sure the "K" rating is between 5000 and 10000

you'll need some source of carbon - so either DIY CO2, invest in a commercial CO2 "factory" or get some SeaChem Flourish Excel - you're plants will thank you

the leaf zone fert is not that great.... if you're going to go commercial liquid fert I would recommend tropica master grow or SeaChem Flourish

make sure you don't have any activated carbon in your filter (IMO, does more harm than good)

some won't touch the aquarium salt... use it if you must....

only three fish in a 10G? - i guess they'll breed, but i'd add some panda cories and a bushynose pleco (or oto cat) to take care of the algae and leftovers!

plants? - start with some easy growers.... java fern, hygrophilia, cabomba, anubias,....

oh, and good luck!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Welcome, and good Luck.
First: check out this site: http://www.rexgrigg.com/index.htm
It may be rough for some folks, but has some great info.
If you plant well from the begining, you really won't have to worry about the cycle. I've done it 2X's and never saw any ammonia.

If you add carbon via CO2, you might want to ditch the Bio-wheel since it will outgass the CO2 you are putting in. If you use Excel, I think you should be OK.

I also agree with jbot that you should get some scavengers, and algae eating fish.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 01:25 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
lighting - you are going to find that with 15-20watts of normal output fluorescent lighting you will *maybe* be able to keep plants alive, let alone grow them. I have 2x15watt 18" strips over a 10gal, and it is just enough to grow even the lowest light plants.

filter - that choice is a good one in my opinion, but it's a horrible one if you some day want to inject gaseous co2 (sugar/yeast method or pressurized). Also, as mentioned, activated carbon/charcoal does not exactly help planted tanks, maybe hurts them by removing nutrients from the tank. I believe many of the biowheel filters have pads with carbon in them . . .

substrate - nice choice!

fish - platties are good, try to find some otoclineus cats. I found them at petsmart (unfortunately, they are the only ones carrying them). I would suggest trying some shrimp too! They are fun and add diversity.

chemicals - they are all decent, don't add salt though. I've never really found it to help. Leaf Zone is okay for plants, but doesn't contain any nitrogen or micronutrients other than iron. Feedings and water changes can take care of those. Also, find out if your water supply has chlorine/chloramine in it, and if so make sure that you have a way to get rid of it.

plants - with your current light, java fern, anubias, moss, crypts, anacharis all come to mind. Not much variety!

Keep asking questions, too!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode