I'm gonna give up on glosso... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to daveonbass
I'm gonna give up on glosso...

I've just about had it. Everything I do and I can't get it to grow horizontally. It keeps growing strait up on me. I have a dual satellite that I have been changing bulbs in to get better "growing" light (spectrum wise) but nothing. It all ranges from 10,000 and mostly 6500 in the bulbs, more 6500 though. But my last ditch effort would be to buy yet ANOTHER dual satellite. But does anyone think that that will help. I'm afraid to have TOO MUCH light, and still no growth (sideways) so any advice will help. here's some stats.

PH 6.5
controlled by co2 injection and a meter (automatic)
photoperiod is about 12 hours
doseing of excell and iron every other day
lots of pearling and lots of growth but just not laterally...it's all growing up...

please help!!

dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
How's your substrate? I don't have a huge amount of experience... but I tried just gravel once and they didn't even grow up. They just died off. Now in fluorite (and, granted, much higher light) they're growing perfectly.

They seem to need something under them to feed on.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

oh yeah,

I have 3" to 4" of eco complete and it's a 75 gallon tank.

sorry I left those out.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
Maybe you should try getting a different batch of Glosso.
I had Glosso for a while but had to get rid of it due to its invasive habit. It was growing under 3.66wpg and it never really grew vertically...oh yeh, I was also blasting the heck out of my Co2 at that time.

When everything fails then go for the HC.....it's so much nicer looking.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveonbass
I've just about had it. Everything I do and I can't get it to grow horizontally. It keeps growing strait up on me. I have a dual satellite that I have been changing bulbs in to get better "growing" light (spectrum wise) but nothing. It all ranges from 10,000 and mostly 6500 in the bulbs, more 6500 though. But my last ditch effort would be to buy yet ANOTHER dual satellite. But does anyone think that that will help. I'm afraid to have TOO MUCH light, and still no growth (sideways) so any advice will help. here's some stats.

PH 6.5
controlled by co2 injection and a meter (automatic)
photoperiod is about 12 hours
doseing of excell and iron every other day
lots of pearling and lots of growth but just not laterally...it's all growing up...

please help!!

dave
I don't think plants give much of a care about spectrum. Wattage is much more important.

How many watts per gallon are you pushing?

Regards,
Barry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyScape
I had Glosso for a while but had to get rid of it due to its invasive habit. It was growing under 3.66wpg and it never really grew vertically...oh yeh, I was also blasting the heck out of my Co2 at that time.

If he's having trouble with glosso he'll almost certainly have trouble with HC.

Regards,
Barry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 03:35 PM
jhj

My problem with Glosso is my female Bosemani Rainbow...she considers it an open salad bar.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
how high is it growing?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyScape

Somewhat off topic, is the HC not invasive then? How fast does it grow? I've not had any trouble out of glosso as far as growing, in my fairly new (about 6 weeks) setup I think it's going for the "Kudzu of the Aquatic World" award !

And I'll second; Dave, how many WPG do you actually have? Something you can do with the strands growing up, poke the ends down into the eco. It might help train it a bit.

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have the EXACT same problem! My glosso grows verticly instead of horizontaly. I think the trick it to let the glosso grow verticly for a while, then take it out and plant it so the main stem is paralell to the substrate. It should start growing roots all along the main stem. I just did this to my glosso the other day, and I think it might have worked.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Weird... I had Glosso growing in a 10 gal under two 10W screw-in bulbs. It never grow up, just sending runners around. Finally it got overshaded and overgrown with Pearlweed and Sags and it's now gone.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I did say how much wattage I had...but you have to think for it. I said DUAL SATELLITE on a 75 gallon tank. that's four 65watt bulbs...which equates to...3.46 watts per gallon. Math is neat. Plus there just happens to be a single strip florecent that I didn't mention so I assume that I'm close to 3.5 watts per gallon. And a lot of people have said that that is plenty. But some have said to double it or get it at least to 5 watts per gallon. Then I hear someone say that it's not the watt's but the spectrum, then I hear that it's not the spectrum it's the watts. Then I hear to lower the CO2 a bit, then I hear to raise it. I have tried many different planting styles. Tweezers and plunging, laying down and planting the runners, cutting the runners and replanting, I've even tried to burry them in more substrait...and instead of dieing the darn things grow up and out and up some more. They grow as tall As I'll let them before I cut or burry, but right now the tallest has been about 10 inches. on a brighter note I have a lot of it. But it all grows up. so sad.

Anyways it's the crazyist thing...and I'm thinking of yanking them all out and trying something else...unless someone has a better idea of what I could try. the only new info so far has been that I may have gotten a bad batch? I didn't know that that could really happen...but I guess anything's possible.

thanks guys

dave
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 10:21 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveonbass
I did say how much wattage I had...but you have to think for it. I said DUAL SATELLITE on a 75 gallon tank. that's four 65watt bulbs...which equates to...3.46 watts per gallon. Math is neat.
Wow dave... people are trying to help, invest their time to give suggestion to your problem, and your response is: Think, stupid, math is neat.

Satellite PC setups come in all sizes and wattages dave.

You must be frustrated to no end with your glosso, but please, show some gratitude to others who try to help.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

edit...... doubble post.. oops

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Like I said before. rip up the glosso and plant it so the main stem is burried under your sub-strate so just the leaves are sticking out. It works like magic. Within a couple days the main stem will sprout roots wherever there is leaves sticking up out of the sub-strate. This forces the glosso to develope a more extnsive root system and put out runners like crazzy.

I almost gave up on my glosso just like you, but this worked VERY well for me and my glosso is now looking really good. I went from hating it with a passion to calling it my faverot plant.

PS: dont just stick the stem further down in the sub-strate, You actualy have to burry the main stem horozontaly.

good luck

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode