post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
OMG~ hair algae all over~~ help~~

I also have a 110 gallon tank since last year,
- the tank is fully planted,
- I have 3 MH pendant, 150w each, so 450w in total for 10 hours a day
- I have pressurized co2
- ive been dosing the greg watson mix.
Iron Chelate 10% half teaspoon 3 times a week.
CSM+B Plantex half teaspoon 3 times a week
Potassium Nitrate one teaspoon 3 times a week
Mono Potassium Phosphate 1/4 teaspoon 3 times a week
Potassium Sulfate half teaspoon 3 times a week
- I have no fish in the tank
- the tap water info: kh close to 0, ph around 6.8

I have had hair algae from the early stage of my setup. at first i thought it would clear up later on, but it has been a year now, and i have more hair algae than ever before~ ahh please help~ here is a few pictures of my hair algae infested tank~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
From the pics it's a little hard to tell, but it looks a little like cladophora to me. If so, it is much harder to eradicate than hair algae. I'll let some of the algae experts chime in on it.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:10 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
A full tank shot would reveal if there is enough plant mass for your massive lighting. Get lots of fast growers like Hygrophilas, Ambulias and such. Maybe cut down lighting to 8 hours. Raise up the MH lamps to reduce the light.

kH close to 0... why? If that is true, your CO2 injection is not working. Bring kH up to 4 or 5 degrees, then inject CO2 with a target pH of 6.8.

If you have access to "Amano shrimps", they eat that stuff. For your tank, you would need quite a bit of them though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

1.actually im not really sure if this algae is hair algae, can someone confirm this for me?

2. will cherry shrimp eat this algae?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by combo30101
1.actually im not really sure if this algae is hair algae, can someone confirm this for me?

2. will cherry shrimp eat this algae?
When I used to have hair algae, my cherries and ottos ate that stuff. My hair algae was a very very fine hair....sort of like peach fuzz on a peach.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:33 AM
Are these real?

Yes, Cherry Shrimps eat this algae, somewhat. They are too weak to eat thicker hairs. However, this amount of algae is way beyond what an army of cherries can take care of. In other words, the algae grows faster than 1000 cherries could finish it up.

Ghost shrimps also eat this. Same as above.

Amanos are the best hair algae eaters as far as I know.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to daveonbass
I had bad algae problems that are now gone thanks to a UV sterilizer...I never had one and was WAAAY skeptical...but it cleared all of it right up and now no problems...on to stocking again.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Are these real?

I don't think a UVS will help with hair algae/cladophora.

It works well for green water though!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 06:46 PM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Are you manually removing as much as you can? Or are you waitin to see if it will just go away? I started gettin hair algae, but got in there with a toothbrush and cleaned as much as I could out. Got the tank balanced out, co2 crankin, an the rest died off.

Wasser mentioned raisin the KH as well. That would be a good start. Then crank the co2. Clean as much as you can out, add some shrimp to help out with the house cleanin. The more you can remove yourself, the easier it will be to win the battle.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

can somebody comment on my dosing regime a bit?
is it balanced?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I can't say anything on your dosing regime. Every tank is different. Try raising ferts and lowering ferts and tweaking amounts. Do lots of water changes when it turns out bad. Reduce light until you get it right. Try water changes in general. I love water changes. Everything in the tank except algae likes water changes.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2006, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

would the excel method work on the algae i have?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode