feeding tiger barbs. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
feeding tiger barbs.

I just got seven tiger barbs the other day. They are all a little over an inch in size. The problem is that they wont come to the surface to eat food. They look for food on plants and gravel, but when I add flakes or bloodworms they dont swim to the surface to eat them. They are in the tank with only 2 ottos that only eat algy.

How can I feed them before they starve?

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
shuks

I have about 15 tigers in my 55 and they are great. Just give'em a few days and they'll follow you when you walk by the tank eagerly anticipating the next feeding. You can use a turkey baster to feed them, I still use one to make sure the other fish in my tank get a chance to eat a little. Also try frozen brine shrimp. Good luck.

Jeremy

55 gal., DIY stand, hood, rex reactor, & bubble counter, XP2, Coralife 65 X 4 w/remote ballast, flourite
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I love these guys, I plant to get some more in a while. I just hope they can figure out how to eat the food I give them.

How exactly do you feed them with a turky baster? right now I only have flake food and freeze dried bloodworms.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well I have to be honest, I start w/frozen brine and blood worms. I also use color flakes and freeze dried tubifex worms. I do the same for all types of food: first I put warm water in a cup and put the food in it for a couple minutes. The room temp foods, I break up before I put them in the cup, then every minute or so I push it down with my fingers. When it's ready I swirl it around with baster, suck it up and distribute in the tank. The tigers usually have each dose eaten before I can get the next one sucked up into the baster. The frozen stuff is the staple diet and the rest is supplemental. I know it sounds excessive, but that's the kind of guy I am. I also get live brine shrimp once or twice a month to feed them, now that is fun to watch.

When the barbus tetrazonas are that small, it is definitally nerve racking until they get bigger and more stable. If I can get mine to stay still I'll take a picture of a male, you want believe the brightness of the colors.

On a side note I had several other types of fish in my tank and decided to remove them so that I could put more tigers in. I went to a big time lfs to look and they had some labeled as large, and let me tell you they were hugh. They were obviously filled up with growth hormones and they looked terrible. The black stripes were very black, but the outlines were fuzzy and there were black blotches on the rest of the body. I hate seeing that. I am going to try to breed some tigers and red rudy barbs this summer.

Jeremy

55 gal., DIY stand, hood, rex reactor, & bubble counter, XP2, Coralife 65 X 4 w/remote ballast, flourite
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 01:39 AM

The first fish I put in my Planted Tank were Tiger Barbs. I bought 6 very small ones and 2 of them did not want to eat the flake food. I then tried frozen Brine Shrimp and they wouldn’t touch it either. Finally, I tried frozen Bloodworms and they devoured them. It was only about 3 weeks later that they began eating anything.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks guys, I accedently made a double thread. Anyways, I finnaly got them all to eat. During the last hour of the photo period when 1/2 the light bubls are turned of. The tiger barbs seemed to love this "dusk" period and they ate no problem.

I think that my tank was so big that it was just hard for them to fined where the smell of food was comming from. Once they cought on it was a regular tiger barb feeding frenzy. I was very happy.

anyways, I love tiger barbs soo much I'm going to have to get a couple more tomorow so I'll have a school of 12 or so. I;ve never kept a school of fish before, and I'm amazed howperfictly my tiger barbs stay in a perfict school. I almost never see a tiger barb wonder out on his own. It;s very cool to watch them swim in a school and almost act as 1. Its like they all know what each other is thinking...

I'm going to try and breed them when they are mature, but I dont know how fast they grow, or how big they need to spawn. Right now mine are a little over an inch in size, and I'm not sure if its too early to tell the sexes apart? can someone please inlighten me.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode