Must-Haves - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I was wondering if people here have a set of must-have plants—plants that you feel must be in your tank before you can consider that tank complete. These would be plants that you would insist on using irregarless of the aquascape style you were going for. If so, what're your must-haves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 03:58 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I don't think anyone ever feels their aquariums are completed. I know I never will!
Plants that I think are essentials to me...?
Riccia
Crypt balansae, lutea, and wendtii.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
I don't think anyone ever feels their aquariums are completed.
Hehe. That's true, Mike.

And if I may take my own topic off topic just for a second here, saw pictures of your tank in the photos section, Mike. A stunning tank. I was very impressed.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
For me, it'd have to be Rotala Indica or glosso. A lot of plants have come and gone as my favorites, but I could get rid of most of those without missing them and I just couldn't part with the ole Rotala Indica!

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 03:18 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great topic. My favorite for the past 13 years since I started by first tank were Stargrass, E. major, green Cabomba, Bacopa caroliniana, A. boivinianus, Anubias barteri var. nana and R. macrandra. I just find these striking in appearance in any aquascape.

Since restarting my aquarium hobby two years ago, I've come to really love the look of Glossostigma, Riccia, R. wallachii, Ammania gracilis, H. difformis, all Ludwigia spp., Hottonia palustris and Eichhornia diversifolia to name a few. At one point I had nearly 30 species of plants in my 90 gallon tank! The big plants won.

I eventually trimmed down the assortment to just 10 species of plants. I liked the look, but I really like so many different plants. So, now I have a second (25gal) tank at work, and I'm planning a 30" tall, 225 gallon tank at home to house my favorite, must-have, large Echinodorus, stargrass, red cabomba and Discus, about eight of them with a hundred cardinal tetras...but mainly for the plants.

(Somebody make it stop....!)

S. Warbenjagermanjensen

...I'm all better, now.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 03:25 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'm totally with you Smity! More often than not, my aquascapes suffer because of my inability to consolidate down to just a few species of plants. I want to keep one stem of everything!
The only solution is more tanks.

Stargrass would definitely be on my Must-Have list if I had softer water.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 04:11 PM
Planted Member

Anubias and Crypts. With just those two species of plant you could fill a tank with variety and also have an easy maintenance low/moderate light situation.
I agree.....great question.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 04:27 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
For big tanks... definitely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 10:35 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Thanks for the compliment Ugly Genius! Like I posted earlier, sometimes all you see are faults.

GFA... Rotala indica, how could I forget!! That is one you can't do without either!!

I know Smity Warbenjagermanjensen! He was #1!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 06:04 PM

Giant Hygro and Barclaya Longifolia....glosso too!

Mike
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 03:26 AM

Well, I hope someone is going to be bringing some of these to auction at the AGA, for I find that I do not have a SINGLE plant mentioned so far. Oh, except for anubias nana and crypts.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 06:02 AM
2la

I've yet to find a plant that I feel 'needs' to be in every type of aquascape (and, thus, in every tank). How would a huge tiger lotus fit in in a large Amano-esque mountain-style tank? No must-haves for me, personally. Each style of aquascape demands its own unique set of plant species (and even fish, IMO).
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 03:08 PM

Anona,

Are you interested in Giant Hygro? Next time I do a mass trimming I can send you some if ya like?

Mike
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 02:49 AM

Thanks so much, but I don't think I have space for that right now.

I just tore down the 20H and moved everything to the new used 59 G, plus the fish that were in isolation in the spare 10 G and amazingly enough, it is nearly full. And I still have a red melon sword to move over, also!

I have one corner in the 29 G that needs something, but I think a fine leaved plant would be better. I do appreciate the offer, though.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 03:06 AM

[Well, I hope someone is going to be bringing some of these to auction at the AGA, for I find that I do not have a SINGLE plant mentioned so far. Oh, except for anubias nana and crypts.]
I purchased my first order of plants from www.aquariumgarden.com and was very happy. The plants arrived quickly and in good health, with no snails I might add. The other thing I like about this site is they don't charge you until AFTER you receive the plants and have time to respond with any problems or concers. Also, I received a discount coupon a day after my order and they honored it for the order I had just placed. Great customer service in my oppinion and nice plants as well. Here is a pic of the plants just after I received them but before they were planted. It was summer in California - I had to cool them down so I put them in as is until I could get them planted an hour later.[/quote]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode