first time planted, 55g, newbie questions! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
first time planted, 55g, newbie questions!

Hi,

This is my first time posting, and first off I'd like to say that I've read and learned a lot from this site, and that everyone writes such informative and helpful posts! I've been able to avoid posting questions by searching through the archives and reading various guides (i.e., Rex Grigg's site), but I was hoping that you guys can help me out a bit.

I'm about to set up a standard 55g, on which I plan to install:
lighting: ahsupply 2x55 PC's
CO2: pressurized via the inline reactor
fert: NPK+micros.

Do you guys think that I can get away with dosing macros/micros once a week with this amount of light? I'm guessing it all depends on how densely I'm planting? I was hoping that that 2wpg will slow the uptake just enough for weekly dosing. What is the general consensus for the safest single dose of NO3 that won't harm fish?

I'm living with my parents right now but I anticipate being out of here within a year. When that time comes, can i wean the tank off co2 and ferts without changing the lighting? I'd like to leave them with a low-maintenence tank where all they have to do is feed the fish, and I come in to do water changes when needed (Diana Walstad type tanks).

Thanks everyone!
-Raymond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hi Ramond and welcome to planted tank.

You may want to look at auto dosing...if you've been reading everything like it sounds like you have, then you've probably came across several threads about this. I dose every day and it only takes about 2 minutes, literally.

When you move out you may need to sell alot of plants and make it low tech otherwise algae will probably insue.

The more experienced guys may be able to give more/better advise. Good luck and post some pics when you get everything set up.

Jeremy

55 gal., DIY stand, hood, rex reactor, & bubble counter, XP2, Coralife 65 X 4 w/remote ballast, flourite
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 06:23 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Hey Raymond welcome to the TPT!!

Its gonna be tough for u to leave a tank like this for your parents. Weaning the tank off co2?Yer gonna wind up leaving yer parents with a tank full of algae I am afraid.

Why dont ya introduce yer parents to TPT, an let them get the bug!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
What if you were to wean the plants of the CO2 before you left, get the tank to the point where it doesn't take much work to keep it up. Say start about a month of two before your going to leave. It's a thought!

I have 2 wpg over my 29 gallon planted tank (1x55 AH supply w/6700K). The reason I went with 2wpg was for a similar reason; if I wanted to go back to a low tech, non CO2 injected tank I could, without changing my lights or going to any extremes. Gives me more options. I can still grow some very nice plants too!

Linda
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you all very much for your replies! I was away for the weekend and must apologize for my delayed response.

I'll try setting up an auto-dosing system, and if I don't get that successfully going by my departure date, then I'll consider weaning off the ferts/co2 over a period of 2 months.

LindaC, have you been able to grow groundcover like hairgrass or glosso with your 55w/29g?

Thanks again!
-Raymond

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode