New Tank.. woo... where to start!? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Tank.. woo... where to start!?

Ok my Mum gave in and let me have that cheap ass 20 Gallon tank. However it is for my Dads' place which i visit probably once every 2-4 weeks. My Dad is the one who introduced me to this hobby, however he hasnt really done a tank for about 6 years now and he only really uses mine for enjoyment when he's round here.

Therefore with this new tank, it has to be pretty low tech but no low low as my Dad can always do the odd water change here and there.

This tank has standard lighting (havnt checked it out yet)
A fluval 2 filter, airstone, pump, visi-therm heater (100W) and a bunch of other stuff.

My Dad has offered to buy everything else as far as gravel, fish, plants go. However i need some ideas about what to do with it. My Dad got bored of the old 6 tetra, 1 pleco, 3 livebearer tank a long time ago so perhaps some sort of species tank or some interesting invertabrates etc.

Anyhow the floor is open for you to lay down any ideas you want. You can suggest plants, flourite, fish, anything that you can recommend or you think would work well. Nothing too demanding, fairly hardy, but very interesting as far as fish go.

Over to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A few cherry shrimp always add interest to a tank - giving you something to look real closely for. And, my personal favorite fish is guppies, just because they again always give you something to enjoy watching.

For low tech you could use about 30-40 watts of fluorescent light, plus excel and low dosage fertilizers. If you don't go overboard with fertilizing you don't need to do water changes nearly as often as when you do the EI method. But, I think you do need to use a little of each of the needed fertilizers.

Hoppy
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
An interesting invert would be some sort of crayfish, you could do african dwarf frogs .too

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
dwarf puffers, java moss, java ferns, cherry shrimp, and oto's...this is what i have in my 10...they are quite the little characters
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Yeh dwarf puffers or fidler crabs or even both maybe are a big interest for me. Might try and locate some of those.

Keep em' coming.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 08:02 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
A pair of Blue Rams, or Bolivian Rams if that's all you can find. They get along with an angel in my 29gallon, and otos.

Along with LOTS of crypts, a couple Wendtii "browns" or "spiralus" would fill in the background. Always a fan of Anubias. Fluorite is nice.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Wow i just found an awesome site. Good ones like this are so hard to come by in the UK. I reckon this is basically the same standard as live aquaria

www.tropicalfish4u.co.uk

Awesome stuff, first time iv seen alot of those fish and only £4.99 for shipping which is around $6.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Im thinking Blue Lobsters from that site and 3 or 4 Bos. Rainbows. Any objections?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Not sure on the lobster. Some crayfish will kill every plant. Bosemani's really need some swimming room to be happy, IME. Great fish, but happier in at least a 40 or 50G. Maybe smaller Praecox rainbowfish.

Low tech. What about doing some major epiphyte (moss) on bogwood look, with some smaller tetras school or rasboras, and maybe a Apisto cacatoides pair. Make the moss look be the eye catcher, and it is low light, no CO2, and easy maintenance theroretically. Throw in a bunch of cherry shrimp or Amanos and some cool Corys or a pair of wormlike Kuhuli loaches (I like the brown with white stripes ones). Food for thought.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
More than one blue lobster is likely to be bad......Boesman's rainbowfish get rather large don't you think? I'd suggest a trio of Moscow guppies. Gotta love the Moscows. I think you can get a trio of them on aquabid for 45 dollars shipped.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

I just dont want to do guppies anymore. I just feel they are too weak and feeble in some places due to inbreeding.

It's a shame because i absolutley love Boesman's - they're my favourite fish.

I was just going to do one blue lobster (sorry for the misunderstanding before) and a trio of Boesman's as my Dad wanted a few fish that were eyecatching and these guys certainly are - at least they're all 'easy' rating in various places for care. The idea also is the Boesman's are too big to get snipped by the Lobster although now i see your point, they probably are too big.

Being in the UK is hard to get some species which is why il probably end up using that site.

At the moment im getting pursuaded more towards the pair of appistos, school of rasbora and cory setup but if anyone wants to throw me together a shark tank, im all open to it.

I want aggressive! It appeals!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Thinking of basing a tank round a red-tail shark. Dropping in a few smaller rainbowfish i know for sure will work. Im not sure about mixing redtails though, is it do-able?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Red tailed get pretty big. Think small with color for smaller tanks??? I know a friend of mine was over last weekend and he saw my multi colored Triple red apisto ( almost like a fancy guppy tail ) but with the cichlid attitude. He said he wanted a whole tank of apistos. I explained they are prone to aggression if too many males so that isn't a good idea. Very cool fish, IMO. They need really clean water and not too hard. Look at your water parameters before you buy, I'm thinking. They aren't the cheapest species to keep. Isn't British water generally pretty hard??

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode