Tank in summer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank in summer

Hi, everyone,

I live in south. I am just curious how you guys keep your tanks cool in summer. The temp could rise over 100 degree here. Do you keep the airconditioner running all day? or you buy a several hundred bucks chiller?

thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
Although many will disagree...I fill a 2 liter bottle with water and freeze it over night. When it gets hot in the room I just throw it in the tank for a few until the temp drops to where I like it. It can be a pain in the butt since you are doing it very frequently. It worked for me in the past so I'll continue doing it until I get a nice chiller. The crazy thing is that the AC runs all day.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Chillers are far beyond I can afford.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

buy some plastic ice cubes and run an experament on your tank. eg... "x" amount of ice cubes will lower the temp by "x" degrees. I think there is even a company that makes plastic ice cubes specificly for aquariums.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 04:23 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Medicineman has some good writeups on diy chillers. Well it's not really DIY, but probably a little less expensive compared to a storebought one.

Or you can look into getting a little fridge and placing your canister filter into that.

I would think most ppl just run air condition in Summer... I don't have air condition, and for the 3 days per year that it gets hot here I use icecubes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 03:56 PM

My reef tank would have a hard time in the summer before I bought a chiller. My AC was a piece of junk and didn’t work half the time.

Before the chiller, I did two DIY options.

First I bought a plastic pickle jar sold at Wal-Mart and a couple of bags of blue ice. I filled up 3 Gatorade bottles with the blue ice “stuff” and siliconed the lids shut. They would fit perfectly inside the opening of the plastic jar. I would then add silicone tubes for in out and tie it in with my filtration. I would keep all 3 bottles in the freezer and switch one out everyday.

Next was a mini-fridge, which worked great till the compressor went out. Was also nice to have my own fridge to keep those icky fish foods in that the wife despised being in our regular fridge.

In the end I bought a real chiller and it has been in operation for about 5 years now. I think DIY are fine for short-term solutions, but in the long run, actual chillers are built for the job and are the best choice.

Luckily, my Planted tank stays between 80-81 so chances are I wont need a chiller for it this summer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode