Alternative to PMDD, is this any good? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Alternative to PMDD, is this any good?

Hi Guys,

I am lookin gat solutions for ferts and Gregwatson altough great are too expensive for me to buy.

I was a local store here and they had this stuff for sale:

http://www.grotek.net/products/guide...sp?code=calmax

and

http://www.grotek.net/products/guide...p?code=budfuel

I think it is all natural stuff.

Would this work in a 75gal planted tanK with fish/invertebrates?
Or is there anything else on that website that could be used for NPK?

Thanks so much for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Joe, is it made for aquatic plants? If so, that stuff looks like it would cover your N and K, but you'd have to work out the dosing amounts on your own with a bit of experimentation. I can't imagine you'd save money in the long run. Buying liquid ferts is almost always more expensive than dry ferts. Shipping to Canada shouldn't be too excessive.

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well it is expensive... Almost $20Us just for shipping and I beleive it is shipped thru UPS which charges mroe for brokerage duties and crap like that.

It is not made for aquatic plants, but it is natural and has no urea or copper in it.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Any decent DGSS (read hydroponics) will have bulk dry nutrients. And there are several good trace mixes you can use.

I would suggest looking around for dry KNO3, KH2PO4 and K2SO4 and a trace mix.

Last edited by Rex Grigg; 03-10-2006 at 12:33 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
delete by request.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Last edited by Betowess; 03-10-2006 at 08:04 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 06:19 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to GregWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerJoe
Well it is expensive... Almost $20Us just for shipping and I beleive it is shipped thru UPS which charges mroe for brokerage duties and crap like that.

It is not made for aquatic plants, but it is natural and has no urea or copper in it.
Just to correct a little information here ...

I ship to Canada several times a week ... and I ship via FedEx because they do not charge those brokerage fees ... and I can't remember the last time shipping was actually that high to Canada <grin> - its usually about $11-18 for a typical order ...

Thanks,
Greg

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 11:35 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus
Since "d" is illegal in the United States, there is no such thing as a legal "d growers supply shop." Suggesting that he obtain supplies from an illegal source is just plain bad advice.
Unfortunately you and Betowess quoted or reworded Rex's post which makes it difficult for the mods to edit that stuff out. Rex was actually referring to hydroponic's shops which are also a source of equipment for the jerks that like to grow illegal plants and sell/use them. Hopefully they all get what they deserve for their activities. Could I ask that in the future you guys take Rex's jokes as jokes and let the mods work on 'fixing' any offensive language. This way we have an easier time working to eliminate language that can make law enforcement bots ears perk up needlessly. Infact I'd appreciate it if you three go back and edit your posts to remove the references before I do.

As to the question about the ferts, Rex did have a good point, do a search on hydroponics, or check the phone book and you can find what you need. Unless you go with Greg who does have a good product. I think you'd find that his prices are the best if you figure in how long the dry ferts will last you.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Sorry 'bout that. Didn't catch the joke!

Sorry to the original poster as well. I don't have much advice about those links, other than I would be very hesitant to try them as they are not originally intended for aquatic plants.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMurphy
Rex was actually referring to hydroponic's shops which are also a source of equipment for the jerks that like to grow illegal plants and sell/use them. Hopefully they all get what they deserve for their activities.
yes, truelly the root of all evil in the world today.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, good news, I found a store that sells NPK traces, but not micro.
The only one they have is a compound with 5% iron and the other minerals but also has 0.1% copper which I understand is not usable in a shrimp tank at all...
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
What is the name of the trace mineral mix?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The name on the box says Wonder duzz. No idea who this is.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Quote:
Originally Posted by putty
yes, truelly the root of all evil in the world today.

I second that. Not a forum topic, but whatever.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 02:37 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I was using hydroponics ferts for a while since I had them on hand for other stuff.... It was really hard to translate the dosages to something I could use in a planted tank. If you're looking to economize, I toooootally urge you to just buy it from Greg. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. Otherwise, you'll end up pouring money down the drain. Literally.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Most of what Greg sells isn't different from what you could get elsewhere, but the unique thing is the small quantities he sells. A pound of most ferts is a near lifetime supply unless you have a giant tank, and you can get a pound from Greg at a per pound cost much like a 50 pound bag. If you buy the same stuff elsewhere you buy 50 pounds at a time. Frankly, one lifetime's supply is enough for me.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode